Basset Hounds Forum banner

Breed Confusion! Help?

22K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  smitte21 
#1 ·
Hello! I just adopted a sweet (but nutty) little girl named Ladybug from the Humane Society. I was told she's a Basset Hound/Australian Shepherd mix. She's verrrrrrrry smart and even more energetic. This morning at the dog park we met a dog trainer who mentioned other breeds. I googled "american foxhound" and BAM! there's my girl.

She's stubborn and bossy like a Basset but I've noticed that most Basset mixes have stubby legs, her legs are almost twice the length you'd expect. But she does have the turned out ballerina feet.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight to this. When I have a little more money I'm going to do a DNA test but until then....

Do any other breeds have the ballerina feet? Looking at her photos do you have any ideas what she could be?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
ballerina feet

by ballerina feet I just mean she has front feet that turn out (like Bassets' do). I can't think of any other breeds that have those kinda legs.

See photos below for what I'm talking about

and DNA testing is only like $60, not pocket change but it might be worth it to satisfy my curiosity...

Attachments

#5 ·
by ballerina feet I just mean she has front feet that turn out (like Bassets' do). I can't think of any other breeds that have those kinda legs.

See photos below for what I'm talking about

and DNA testing is only like $60, not pocket change but it might be worth it to satisfy my curiosity...
That price is good! Where I live, my vet charges more than that for just a consultation that may be just a few minutes!

Ah... I see what you mean about the ballerina legs now! My Bassets' legs are straighter than those in the pic!

#4 · (Edited)
We are pretty sure that Harriet is a Basset/Aussie mix. The shelter knew her mother was a basset, and she does have short legs and a long back. She's got markings that are at least hound-like. She also has green eyes and shorter ears that we were guessing were aussie. Some of her littermates looked very aussie. She's red which I guess could be either. We've thought about the DNA test too because we are curious.

What do you think, do they look alike?

Attachments

#6 ·
Genetic test for breeds are wholely inaccurate ande not worth the price.

Basset feet are not suppose to point out. It is a serious confirmation fault and is is present in other breeds as well. However in a basset unlike other breed it hardly ever leads to more debilitating problems like arthritis. In basset the common name for the feet pointing eas-west rather than north south is Fiddle front. This is because if you follow the outline of the legs to the turned in elbows and back out to the feet it look like the body of a violin.
Typilified by Mariah below

FWIW definately no American Foxhound.
below is a picture of my Harrier which is a little tall and a little thin for the breed which makes hin the same height an Aa American Foxhound and a little heavier. Both breed have straight front legs and are rarely bred in the US It would be exceedly rare to find one in a shelter there just aren't that many of them to begin with. In most cases A hound that looks similar to a Fox Hound in a USA shelter will be a Treeing Walker Coonhound But alas Not a treeing Walker either. Very much a typical hound mix coat and look. How a basset dwarfism is manifested when combined with other gene is rather eratic not all basset mixes have stumpy legs.

#7 ·
In my experience, anything mixed with a basset more often than not looks like the other "breed" but with much shorter legs. For instance, if it was a lab/basset mix, it would look like a lab with stubby legs. But also keep in mind that your dog could be a mix of more than two breeds, which I suspect she is. It doesn't matter, though, because she's very cute and you love her.

and speaking of DNA tests, I'm tempted to send in a swab with my cat's saliva to see what dog breeds they say he is.

#8 ·
and speaking of DNA tests, I'm tempted to send in a swab with my cat's saliva to see what dog breeds they say he is.
I've always been tempted to send a swab from Gabby (my longhair Basset) just to see what breed(s) they claim she is.

#9 ·
She looks like she very well could be an Australian Shepherd mix to me. Take a look at this girl, you'll see the resemblance. Diamonds N Gems - Australian Shepherd - Pedigrees

The Australian Shepherd that I had was very smart, learned to obey hand signals without verbal commands, verbal commands without signals (as long as she could hear me, she was mostly deaf) and was at her happiest when she was "working." In her case that just meant running in the yard, turning on command and running some more, then sit, stand, come back, go away. She probably would have been an excellent agility dog.

Your girl is adorable, her fur looks so soft! Give her a kiss for me.

#10 ·
Lightening&stopmps, I had to crack up when I read this ..."and speaking of DNA tests, I'm tempted to send in a swab with my cat's saliva to see what dog breeds they say he is."

My cat beats the dog to the door when the bell rings, he makes more noise than either dog I have owned since I got him, and pesters for more attention that most dogs I know!

#13 ·
Actually according to the standard:

"The paw is massive, very heavy with tough heavy pads, well rounded and with both feet inclined equally a trifle outward, balancing the width of the shoulders."

Yes basset feet are supposed to be slightly out turned but not to the point where they are facing east and west as is the case with some rescues I've seen. Your dog likely could be a basset mix with the shape of the legs... yes it's taller than a basset so likely mixed with a taller breed but I can definately see the basset in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.