Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted our first Basset a week ago, and even my hubby is more in love than he expected! Sunny (the irony of his name did not escape us) is a 5 yr old, neutered tri colored male and more sweet and lovable than we could dream of! He is AMAZING with our 5 kids (17 yrs, 3 1/2 yrs, 2 yrs and 8 mo old twins) and really trying to tolerate our 3 Siamese cats!

We were prepared for doggy odor, but this is reeeeaaallllyyyy strong. :blink: I have a dry powder I comb into his fur every couple/few days or so (while watching to make sure it doesn't dry his coat out too much) but that doesn't really help. Does anyone have any tips on odor control for his coat and our house? We would be soooooooooo grateful!!

Joycelle

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
We were prepared for doggy odor, but this is reeeeaaallllyyyy strong. :blink: I have a dry powder I comb into his fur every couple/few days or so (while watching to make sure it doesn't dry his coat out too much) but that doesn't really help. Does anyone have any tips on odor control for his coat and our house? We would be soooooooooo grateful!!

Joycelle[/b]
first is to make sure there is not an underlying medical condition.

1. ear infection

2. impacted anal glands

3. lip fold pyderma (infection of the lip fold)

4. Yeast infection of the Skin (often in skin folds, between toes and the arm Pits)

5. Sehborrhea

yeast is a common denominator in many of these sourse of odor. A racid oil smell AKA frito smell is often related to a yeast infection somewhere

OH by the way in a year or two you be one of those who say "what smell, I don't smell anything" it is something you do eventually get acclimated to

some link

Sedborrhea

MALESSEZIA DERMATITIS

skin-fold pyoderma, intertrigo

MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ANAL SACS

Ear infection

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Anal glands!

Make an appointment at the vet to make sure there's no infection or impaction.

The vet can "express" the glands, which eliminates the problem.

Some houndies need their anal glands expressed more often --- maybe once a month, every six weeks. It isn't expensive and most groomers can do it for a very reasonable prices.

But you have got to make sure they're not infected or impacted, and only a vet can help you with that.

In addition, once you determine this is the problem (which I'm certain it is --- P.U.!!!), you can make a huge difference by upping the fiber in his food by adding canned pumpkin (yes, they love it), sweet potatoes, canned green beans, etc. I switched Biscuit over to homemade because it was getting to be ridiculous, and upping his fiber virtually eliminated the problem.

Vet! Vet!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Having been owned by bassets for over 35 years, I would like to share my experience. NO TABLE SCRAPS! NO PEOPLE FOOD! EVER!

I have found that almost always, basset odor problems/allergies are related to their diet. Find a good quality dog food that works for your hound, and stick with it. I never give my hounds food that contains corn. Poor diet can lead to ear problems, which can make them smell really bad.

My first basset ate anything and everything, because we didn't know any better. She reeked. By the time I had my third basset, I had figured it out. My two current bassets have no odor at all. Hope this helps you. Enjoy your hound!

Sandy

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sometimes a diet change helps, if all of the above is ruled out first. Good luck with your stinky hound - lots of us have been there!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sometimes a diet change helps, if all of the above is ruled out first. Good luck with your stinky hound - lots of us have been there![/b]
Oops, Sandy! I didn't read your post. Great minds think alike! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anal glands!

Make an appointment at the vet to make sure there's no infection or impaction.

The vet can "express" the glands, which eliminates the problem.

Some houndies need their anal glands expressed more often --- maybe once a month, every six weeks. It isn't expensive and most groomers can do it for a very reasonable prices.

But you have got to make sure they're not infected or impacted, and only a vet can help you with that.

In addition, once you determine this is the problem (which I'm certain it is --- P.U.!!!), you can make a huge difference by upping the fiber in his food by adding canned pumpkin (yes, they love it), sweet potatoes, canned green beans, etc. I switched Biscuit over to homemade because it was getting to be ridiculous, and upping his fiber virtually eliminated the problem.

Vet! Vet![/b]
Not trying to run away with this thread, but I have heard about impacted anal glands before. I have not had any problems with Hank...or none that I know of.Is this something which is a common problem?Other then the slight ear infection from time to time I have never had a problem with him. Other then ,I am assuming a smell ,what are some other signs of anal gland problems?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm seeing that bassets are like men, they wait until you fall in love with them & THEN they reveal their "stinky" side! :p

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
GlassCat, I've never had to deal with impacted anal glands. But it's my understanding they're *very* painful for the pup and often (always?) infected. I have no idea if you can tell if they're impacted, although I seem to recall someone in the last 7 years (good gawd almighty! :blink: ) that I've been on Cyberhound describing how to determine they're impacted.

I may be getting that confused with people describing how to express the anal glands yourself. :blink: :blink: Raincoats, showers stalls and possible galoshes were involved, if I remember correctly. :unsure:

I do know the smell of anal glands that need expressing is seriously PEEEE YEEEEW! And once you've smelled it, you never forget it. :blink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts