Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Pearl got her UD yesterday at the Fresno Dog Training Club, (pending AKC approval). There were many moments that were true heart-stoppers, but she did it. Only dog to qualify! Thanks to everyone for their support and advice.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
This is a huge accomplishment--congrats to you and Pearl! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Woo Hoo!! Way to go Pearl (and Sharon). Congratulations to you both. I'm trying to remember everyone listed in the Tally-Ho, but I believe this is the first Basset UD in quite awhile.

·
Registered
939 Posts
give Pearl a T-Bone and tell her good job.Now lets work on that field title!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Congratulations but tell me, what is UD? It sounds like you've accomplished something great!!!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
give Pearl a T-Bone and tell her good job.Now lets work on that field title!!![/b]
She got a little Big Mac. Love to work on a field title if AKC would let us--she's been spayed. No Hunt Tests around here, either !
Beverly Anne,
The UD stands for Utility Dog. AKC has three Obedience Competition classes--Novice (CD), Open (CDX) and Utility (UD). The dog has to perform all the exercises up to their standard at three trials in each class to get the title. The Utility class includes exercises that require the dog working far away from the handler. For example, that the dog responds to silent signals, finds an article that you've scents from a pile of other articles, fetch a glove afer being 'marked' to it, and do a complicated jumping exercise where the dog runs to the end of the ring on command, turns around and sits and wait for a command to take a one of two jumps, then jumps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How awesome!! I'm so very happy for you both!! What a tremendous accomplishment!! An aside: I got the new Tally-Ho today and they changed the cover criteria to include UDX Bassets! I wrote a letter when Bugsy passed stating that it was a crime that this huge Obedience accomplishment wasn't acknowledged by the BHCA as "worthy" of a cover. I guess it helped! Way to go Deb and Betsy!! Take care all, Belinda.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How awesome!! I'm so very happy for you both!! What a tremendous accomplishment!! An aside: I got the new Tally-Ho today and they changed the cover criteria to include UDX Bassets! I wrote a letter when Bugsy passed stating that it was a crime that this huge Obedience accomplishment wasn't acknowledged by the BHCA as "worthy" of a cover. I guess it helped! Way to go Deb and Betsy!! Take care all, Belinda.[/b]
Wow! Great on the UDX. I wrote a letter, too, (an email, actually), and got one back saying they'd consider it at their next meeting. I thought Yah, sure, but it sounds like they meant it. It happened that fast--wonderful!
Sharon

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I haven't looked at a Tally Ho in months. Which issue, Belinda? Broadening eligibility for the cover is probably a good idea, in that it might generate more interest in the club.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's the March/April 2007 issue on page 18. The additions are UDX, MACH, VST and BOB at an all-breed show. You might be interested to know that Randy Frederikson, Jerry Rush, Carol Hunt and Gail Yamaguchi voted no to the proposal. There wasn't one article about performance events in this issue. Not one in Obedience, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Hunt Test or Field Trials. Too bad...Belinda.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
You might be interested to know that Randy Frederikson, Jerry Rush, Carol Hunt and Gail Yamaguchi voted no to the proposal. There wasn't one article about performance events in this issue. Not one in Obedience, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Hunt Test or Field Trials. Too bad...Belinda.[/b]
Change is difficult, but with increasing restrictions on dog owners and breeders, the club should reach out to those who have interests in addition to conformation, if it hopes to attract new members. As I mentioned earlier, broadening the eligibility requirements for the cover will hopefully help the club move forward in this regard. :)

Not sure what to say about the lack of articles in performance areas--IMO, it's up to those who pursue these interests to contribute. Not speaking to you, Belinda--you've more than done your share, as obedience columnist. :) I guess I'll peruse the issue (if I ever receive it :unsure: ) before commenting more specifically.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the March/April 2007 issue on page 18. The additions are UDX, MACH, VST and BOB at an all-breed show. You might be interested to know that Randy Frederikson, Jerry Rush, Carol Hunt and Gail Yamaguchi voted no to the proposal. There wasn't one article about performance events in this issue. Not one in Obedience, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Hunt Test or Field Trials. Too bad...Belinda.[/b]
Our local club(s) have virtually no interest in performance activities, except for field trials. As I may have whined about before, occasionally they ask those of us with altered dogs if we'd like to come help at the field trials and 'watch the dogs do what they were bred to do' (Sure, soon as I can find a good dog sitter to take care of my non-eligible two :angry: ) And, not to be too negative <_< , but volunteering to help in performance activities doesn't seem to make much of a dent, or increase the probability that there'll be any performance activities.

On the other hand, I wonder if a negative vote in this instance is necessarily a vote against performance activities. To tell the truth, I'm confused about the principle underlying the vote. The UDX and MACH are 'super titles'--very, very few bassets achieve them, and they indicate success with a range of activities in a certain dog sport, above and beyond the achievement of the highest skill level. The make perfect sense to me. I know the VST is wickedly hard to achieve. but why is it in there--don't almost all Bassets who have the VST also have a CT, which was already a qualification--and it is a tracking 'class', isn't it, like the TDX? Maybe the dissenters were looking for an underlying principle.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I know the VST is wickedly hard to achieve. but why is it in there--don't almost all Bassets who have the VST also have a CT, which was already a qualification--and it is a tracking 'class', isn't it, like the TDX? Maybe the dissenters were looking for an underlying principle.[/b]
I don't quite follow you, Sharon--could you elaborate? The VST can be earned without/before the TDX and the CT...?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't quite follow you, Sharon--could you elaborate? The VST can be earned without/before the TDX and the CT...?[/b]
Right. I understand about the VST being separate from the TDX. But doesn't the CT mean that the dog has earned all three--the TD, the TDX and the VST? My meandering chain of thought was just that I wasn't aware of a BAsset who had only the TD and VST--I thought all the Basset VST holders also had the TDX, and were also CTs. So they were already covered--I know there might be someone out there someday who might just get the TD and the VST, but I'd never run across it. And, I was looking for something that tied all the new qualifications for the cover (MACH, UDX, VST and BOB at all breed show) together and couldn't find it. Maybe the unifying principle is that they are very, very, very, very hard to get. :D

In any event, I'm glad they added the performance titles and delighted they moved so fast. I hope those of you who are eligible take advantage of it, so everyone can be aware of these great dogs.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
BOB at an all-breed show isn't that hard to win, if the basset entry is small. Were there any conditions placed on the number of bassets entered?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BOB at an all-breed show isn't that hard to win, if the basset entry is small. Were there any conditions placed on the number of bassets entered?
Nope. Found the Recording Secretary's report on page 4, and don't see any mention of it.[/b]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts