Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My family is in search of a basset puppy to add to our family. Our beloved Loopy recently passed. I've always had female dogs, but we are thinking of getting a male since there seem to be more available males fronm reputable breeders. I'd be interested in hearing about any perceptions of personality/behavior differences between male and female bassets. The basset will be the only dog in our house, but we do have a toddler (female).

Thanks!

Dana

·
Registered
761 Posts
We've got a male basset mix and a female purebred and I don't see any real differences in their personality. The only difference is the girl, even though she's younger than our male, she acts like he is her puppy. She'll lick his eyes clean and just groom him in general. It's pretty funny. Especially because he's a whopping 66 pounds and she's barely 30.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We have both a male and 2 female bassets and like mhvonalmen said, there really isn't much of a difference in their personalities. They all exhibit those wonderful basset quirks and make our lives much richer.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
more important than the difference between sexes which is realatively small is the difference between the individual dogs which can be great.

we do have a toddler (female).
I would recommend against a puppy, it is a difficult to deal with a puppy and a toddler at the same time. If you can find one a rescue willing to adopt with a todler in the house an adult dog that is good with kids is a better bet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah I'd be hesitant to bring in a puppy as well and I'd say most breeders are going to be hesitant to sell to you knowing you have a young todler in the house. They can easily try to pick the puppy up and end up hurting it unintentionally.

As for the difference the only thing I could say from my experience is that the males were easier to train obedience-wise versus the females. My male has a much better recall than the two girls who stop and stare at me and think about what's in it for them. The boy just does it without stopping to think about why. Potty training seemed a bit more difficult but that just may have been us not realizing his signs until late and our boy is a rescue so he came with some issues of his own (mind you not all rescues have issues but we knew when we got him he was going to need a lot of work). He is now a wonderful little boy who passed his CGC test with flying colors and did some amazing tasks we never thought possible for a basset in our basic obedience. Now on to trying something else with him as well as with the girls who are just motivated by the almighty stomach.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ok ,after a few litters in the late 80's early 90's and now anticipating a litter in a few months this is what I know to be true. Boys-usually,are little boys for a long time ,they have no sense for a while(could be as long as 2 years)they have the attention span of jello.When they reach an age when the brain cells kick in ,could be 6 months,could be 2 years,they get it.My Vinny was an early bloomer he had it from the start,bright,listened,no house training problems but they don't all come that way. Girls- are queens of the home right from the start,will put others in their place early on.Some can become snippy if left to get away with it.Brain cells are all accounted for and in diva mode most of the time. None of these things for either sex is bad you just have to know how to deal. i love them both.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ok ,after a few litters in the late 80's early 90's and now anticipating a litter in a few months this is what I know to be true. Boys-usually,are little boys for a long time ,they have no sense for a while(could be as long as 2 years)they have the attention span of jello.When they reach an age when the brain cells kick in ,could be 6 months,could be 2 years,they get it.My Vinny was an early bloomer he had it from the start,bright,listened,no house training problems but they don't all come that way. Girls- are queens of the home right from the start,will put others in their place early on.Some can become snippy if left to get away with it.Brain cells are all accounted for and in diva mode most of the time. None of these things for either sex is bad you just have to know how to deal. i love them both.
Agreed... well put.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2 year old as well and wouldn't let that stop you from getting a puppy. As long as you are aware and have accepted how much work it is going to be. Obviously you have to supervise the toddler's every move with the puppy and have a separate, safe place for the dog when you can't supervise. It can be done though if you are willing to put in the work. When it comes to my child I am much more comfortable raising a puppy than getting an older dog who's background I can most likely never fully know. But that's just me.

As far as female or male, I don't think it matters. Growing up I had a male basset, he was awesome. I just got a female basset this week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts