Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this video last night on my phone, and it's always soo dark and hard to see! Well today I put my not that technical mind to use, and used a program to lighten it up! Now, unfortunately, you can see how dirty the room is *LOL* But i DID clean it today! I was lax..hey i started a new job! Makes sense there'd be clothes all over the floor then, right? Does that make sense?
Anyway, my baby is silly and adorable! : )

burybone - YouTube

·
Registered
633 Posts
Cute videos. I checked out some of your others your dogs look so happy and very spoiled. :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
LOL! Oh Bowser, you silly boy. Daisy will still find it!

Winston got a chew stick last week when Molly was at the vet for her ACTH test. I needed him occupied so I could work. When he was ready to take a nap, he spent a good 10 minutes trying to "bury" it in different spots. Molly came home and found it right away and stole it. Poor boy...he tried so hard.

PS - your room looks like mine. I didn't clean it today. You've got one up on me ;)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have seen bassets separated by decades and a thousand miles do that exact same thing. They are hard wired to dig and bury, and if they can't bury in the dirt, they will bury in anything they can. I just wish I didn't find stuff buried in my pillows, or in my clean laundry.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I will find bones buried in a basket of towels, or hubby will find one when he goes to sit in his recliner.

The other day, Boomer "buried" one in the corner of the living room, then laid down and stared at it.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Oh Bowsah, my person says u r so cute!!

my wiener dog predecessor did that a lot more than i do, using his nose like u do Bowsah. Once, he rubbed off all his skin on the top of his nose & had a red raw spot there for awhile. Rugburn! (it was from doing that with the carpet)

·
Registered
762 Posts
PB & Bowser separated at birth? I think so. One tax season I had bank statements all over the office floor & I heard rustling coming from the office which is usually not a good sign. I went in to find her burying her rice dinner in my bank statements. They were no longer sorted chronologically & had brown rice stuck to them!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mr. Peabody does this as well. I have given him ice cubes & he gets quite upset when he goes back to retrieve them! I love seeing all the great looking bassets here. I don't always post but do enjoy reading & seeing the pics.
Susan

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was really the first time I'd seem him going at it. We have on and off given him bones before bed when we don't like prolonging the nighttime romp, and he does...but he used to just leave it on the floor. What started this was I guess when i've been at work in the evenings lately, hubby was given them these smelly bones that I hated to use them up when i wasn't around to smell them. Daisy has been trying to steel his.

So, now we bury bones I guess *lol*

Right before this, he told me two stories:

One story was that he took the smellybone with him to his food bowl for dinner one night. He couldn't figure out how to eat, and how to keep the bone safe, so he tried to eat with the bone in his mouth (while my husband sat watching land laughing hysterically) then he decided he could put the bone in the bowl with the food, and growl at Daisy while she sharked around looking for an opportunity.
After dinner, it was stinky bone time.

The second story is from later in the week...we had the same issue in that it was dinner time! But what to do with stinkybone?? He stared at it, left it in the kitchen bed (oh yes, beds in every room) then decided he could eat his dinner and still position himself to watch the bone. Daisy gulped down her dinner, and then slowly meandered into the kitchen. To which Bowser growled at her....so she SPRINTED in and grabbed the bone, and then ran off! Both hubby and Bowser thought she hadn't gotten the bone. But it turns out she had! Poor bowser finished dinner and searched and searched, so hubby gave him the last bits in the bag just for him *lol*

Last little story...when we first got Daisy she would try to hide her bone by...putting it in the middle of the staircase. Or, looking high up on a shelf, standing on her back legs, and trying to put it up on the tv or something. It was so funny. She never, ever tried to actually bury it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just after we adopted Anabelle, she used to run away to eat her food. I think it was a survival instinct. One day I was picking up some clothes off the floor and I found dog food that she had buried in the pile of clothes. Thankfully for our cleanliness she doesn't do that anymore :p

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You really gotta love em! Barney takes his bone out the dog door to bury someplace in the back yard. Weeks later I'll find this bone, alot dirtier, but the same one, buried under my pillow. Really believe there is a method to this..they seem to have to age out there for a specific time. must be the smell that tells him it's time to bring inside. Like I said, you really gotta love em!;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
My husband has a relative that had a basset that would carry his bones all around the house and pick a corner to bury it in. He would dig and put the bone in the "hole" and then push the dirt back over it. Well...they had a friend visiting one day and she decided to help the dog out and covered the bone with a paper towel. The dog marched over to the bone, snatched the paper towel off it, and then proceeded to bury the bone in a different corner of the living room. They are silly dogs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Charlotte does this all the time with her bones or long lasting chew toys. She will carry them around looking for the perfect hiding spot then will try to bury it with her nose. She has been so enthusiastic about it before that she rubbed her little nose raw. If the cats walk to close to her while she is working on it she will have to pick it up and go to another corner to start again.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Well, I'm pretty sure I WOULD be burying my bones, if my person didn't so rudely take them away from me before I was done with them.... something about splinters and safety n stuff.... whatever :mad:

the first time that happened was when my Auntie took away my yummy rib bone. i was very perplexed & very angry. i didn't let her near my stuff again for awhile. but she made it up to me now by giving me enuf yummy treats, so i forgived her now.
--Worm

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Worm, my mom does the SAME thing! UGH... But also I can't have too many long term chew thingies cuz Zoey tries to take them away and even though she doesn't have any teeth she will guard them and not let me have them back :( So momma just gives me chew things that she knows I'll take care of in one sitting...and treats.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just can't get over how silly dogs are...the swipe with the nose, then the little "pat" it down at the end of the swipe...so goofy!
I "found" his bone last night, and so he had to change the hiding spot. He walked around with it for a while..headed into the hallway to which i firmly said "no" because i wanted to limit the burying to the bedroom, and so he turned around....went towards the bathroom..."no"....then he stood there thinking for a while. I showed him he could put it over by the dresser, or back where he had it the first time....he thought about it, carefully put it right next to the bed, then jumped up, hung his head off the bed, and fell sound asleep pointing at it on the floor. *LoL*

I also worked at touching it, and making him drop it or give it to me, and praising him, since i don't want him to learn to get grumpy about it. He did very good, and wagged his tail the whole time i was working with him.

Have you guys read this, on Jowls of Fury?
Jowls of Fury: August 2011

Kind of not the same point as Mr B, but i keep thinking of this commercial when bowser keeps checking on his bone *lol*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts