Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boudreaux's breeder called me and made my heart stop with the words "there's a problem with Boudreaux". She took all the puppies to the vet for their puppy checkup and they were all healthy and perfect except ours. The vet said he has a slight overbite that shouldn't affect him at all (he's the fattest and biggest in the litter, lol). I did some reading and checking on the board and it doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

We assured her that of course we still want him! We'll have our vet check it when we get him in the longest nine days in the history of the world!!!!!

Our latest photo!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
For a pet, an overbite is not a huge deal. It only becomes a problem if someone were planning to show the puppy.A very marginal overbite may correct itself by the time the puppy is done growing.An overbite where the top jaw extends a half inch or more will most likely stay that way to some extent.Enjoy your puppy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
An overbite just means your dog has even more character!!! He's still just the cutest thing ever!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Basset puppies! Oh I do sooooo love basset puppies. Good luck and have fun and take lots and lots pictures!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seeing your pup makes me want one! We got Watson when he was 10 months, so we missed out on those adorable puppy-raising moments. My fiance reminds me that we also avoided those frustrating puppy-raising moments, too... Regardless, you have a very precious addition coming to your family -- he is SUCH a doll, overbite and all! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We know all about the frustrating basset moments... we had a Border Basset (basset & border collie) named Malloy for 15 wonderful years. He had the basset stubborn with the intensity of the border collie, lol.

I am a photographer so be prepared to be really tired of puppy photos!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unless you are wanting to breed or show the dog, I wouldnt worry about the overbight. Those imperfections make your little buddy unique.

When we went to pick out our 2nd basset, I picked little Randolph because of his crooked tail. Apparently it got bent when he was a newborn from being in such a large litter. His tail comes out about an inch and turns 90 degrees, it's his little antenna, I love it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
An overbite just means your dog has even more character!!! He's still just the cutest thing ever!
I agree... DO NOT WORRY ABOUT AN OVERBITE!!! We have had a Basset with an overbite and it made no difference whatsoever as she was just as delightful as any others we have had. What does it matter if his teeth are not perfectly lined up, especially if he is to be a pet and not a show dog. He will be a joy to you and your family and I hope you will have many happy years of fun! Your pup is absolutely GORGEOUS!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts