Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's Basset sit up on their bum? Our Lottie has always done it since she was about 5 or 6 months old and Lucie her sister is a bit longer in the body and we thought she couldn't do it and we've never encouraged her in case she fell over, but at lunchtime today, Lucie decided she would like to be like Lottie and has started to sit up so I tried to take a picture of them together to show you!

Here's Lottie sitting up catching some treats:

Here's Lottie and Lucie sitting up together! :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our Sally does, and high fives while sitting up as well. She's won awards at the Basset rescue fund raiser picnics. People are always freaked out that a Basset can do it. I'll try to get a picture....

·
Registered
129 Posts
How does your bassets do it? Is it something they do naturally or were they trained? I have tried to train my porter to do it but it seems he can't balance like yours do. Yours are super cute!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the sitting up alone is just something they do or they don't do!

We had a Basset back in the 80s (also called Lottie) who also did it and we first saw her sitting up at around a year old, at the table while we were eating and she started moving from person to person sitting up in a 'begging' position scrounging food.

Our current Lottie just does it anywhere, including when we're out walking, which she did the first time when we had stopped to chat to a fellow dog-walker who was giving her own dog a treat to get it beside her so Lottie sat up for a treat from the lady too and she was made a big fuss of. Another day we were walking through the park and met a bunch of girls from school who were taking pics of her with their phones and she seems to know she gets attention!! If Lucie starts it while we're out walking it will take forever to finish a walk!!!! :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Wondering if it's only females that do this. My guy couldn't even attempt this. Perhaps something to do with "broad pup bearing hips"??? Either way it's very impressive.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wondering if it's only females that do this. My guy couldn't even attempt this. Perhaps something to do with "broad pup bearing hips"??? Either way it's very impressive.
You could be right.... we once looked after a friend's female for two weeks and she would also sit up for treats!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Wondering if it's only females that do this.
Actually, a computer client of my husband's has a male basset who sits like that as well. The owners say they never trained him to do it...he just figured it out himself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Flash does it every night when I get home. I'll squat down to great him and he puts his paws on my knees and sits up on his butt. I don't think he can stay that way on his own though. I've tried moving his paws from my knees and he'll just put them back on the floor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts