Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I have always given my "other" dogs pork chop bones and have had no problems.But I had heard that it is not a good idea to give them to bassets...any truth behind this?
I know you never give a dog chicken bones because they splinter but any one had problems with pork bones?
I have a feeling hank would love em

[ January 02, 2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Bloodstripe ]

·
Registered
343 Posts
My vet told me that dogs should only get raw bones. She said cooked bones are too hard and may splinter. As long as the bone's soft enough to make a slight indent with your fingernail, it's okay for a dog. (Edited to add - raw pork bones may not be safe though.)

I know some people give their dogs uncooked chicken wings too.

I give George raw marrow bones (I keep them in the freezer). I don't give them too often since the marrow's pretty rich, but it does allow me a very quiet house for about two hours!

[ January 02, 2006, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Choni ]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I try not to give any bones at all.
I don't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I am glad you asked that question Bloodstripe. We have been wondering that too. Also, I know that rawhides can be dangerous too. What alternative is there to bones and rawhides to keep them from chewing on OUR belongings?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't give my dogs pork or chicken bones (except the neck). For some reason, pork bones tend to be upchucked about an hour or so later so I just don't give it to them. Also, any bones that are thin aren't shared. Ticks them off as we're gnawing on them but oh well........ :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pork bones can splinter -- also, one rescue basset got a bone from a ham slice once. The bone split on one side, popped over the tooth and poor houndie couldn't get it off the tooth. I reached in with a pair of needle-nosed pliers.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I give mine marrow or knuckle bones, but they are cooked???? I was told they had to be boiled or roasted to sterilize them???? I wonder if freezing them does the same thing? They don't get any other type of bone however or chew thing. they have never broken a piece off, but, I suppose there is a first time for everything.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freezing doesn't kill a germ...think about how we freeze beef...yet we have to cook it once it is defrosted to kill the e-coli in it.

Pork carries trichonosis...I don't know if that is harmful to dogs, but I never see a can of dog food that has pork in it.

I know ham can seriosly make a dog ill. I don't know why that is...My friend almost lost her dog because she fed it ham.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ruby almost died from eating a big beef bone; she was chewing on it longways and it slid down her throat. I had to reach in there and pull it out.

Same for rawhide chews. She'll either just lick the taste off or tries to swallow them whole. She doesn't get any thing like that since then.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Only beef marrow bones here, no chicken or pork chop bones, too high risk in my opinon. Plus, with a bully to consider I don't take any chances that she might get something that Lily could handle but she couldn't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts