Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Our new 10 week old Hound is settling in so well!

We would like to give him bones to chew on and wondered if theres an age we should start? Also, what sort of bones we should give him?

Thank you !

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You might start with rib bones - always raw of course. And we like Nylabones but you have to watch re 'splintering' and destroy when/if this happens. Good to see another UK member much as I've not been around much of late.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started giving my current basset fresh frozen raw beef ribs as a protein boost at the young age of 8 to 10 weeks. He wasn't strong enough to actually eat the bones but he enjoyed chewing them once the meat was gone. He is 2 and almost a half yrs old now with much stronger teeth and jaw and can easily eat a bone from ox tails with meat 9n them also. He only gets real bones occasionally now and never chicken bones or any cooked bones because they will splinter and can cause terrible problems internally. Always choose raw uncooked beef bones for safest choice. Cletus now gets jumbo thick 6inch bully sticks and they last longer than what bones I have given him. They are 100% digestable all natural, but make sure to get the unscented ones or your babies breath with smell like a hint of urine because all the bully sticks are made of is, well, I'm gonna let you Google it and warn you to be ready for the answer to what are bully sticks made from... Lol dogs absolutely love them from what I've learned from other basset owners and a few other breed's that follow Cletus and mine instagram. He has over 3500 followers and mostly all pet accounts of other Bassets. Sorry this response is so long but I get carried away when it comes to detail and/or Basset hounds!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts