Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked into the living room, and noticed that the hounds (likely Dozer) had gathered all their bones into one area. Dozer seems to be guarding his collection.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's funny. Reminds me of that story posted a few months ago of the basset who dragged the bag of cat food, panties, etc into the leaf covered hole in the back yard. :lol:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Every Friday when I vacuum under the sofa, we move it to see how many bones Elmer has pushed under there. They they spend all day Friday chewing on the "new" and interesting bones they discovered.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
What kind of bones are you giving them? I would like to give Bocephus some but was told to stay away from bones for bassets.
I give my other dog pork chop bones and Bocephus comes inside while my other dog enjoys bones.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of bones are you giving them? I would like to give Bocephus some but was told to stay away from bones for bassets.
I give my other dog pork chop bones and Bocephus comes inside while my other dog enjoys bones.[/b]

I stay away from pork and chicken bones, or any sharp easily breaking bones. These are smoked ribeye bones I found at walmart and petsmart. Dozer did break up the knuckle bones, so I don't buy them anymore. Some of these they have had for more than 3 months.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I buy the beef shin bones filled with peanut butter flavored stuffing (whatever that is!) at Southern States. They are $2.79 each and last a long time. Although I have to say they like the chicken flavored Nylabone large size that looks like a hand with knuckles just as much. The beef bones are pretty large, thick and don't splinter. I buy three every weekend so I can get some peace and quiet! :lol: They just keep recycling them, hiding, finding and thinking they are brand new every week!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I buy the beef shin bones filled with peanut butter flavored stuffing (whatever that is!) at Southern States. They are $2.79 each and last a long time. Although I have to say they like the chicken flavored Nylabone large size that looks like a hand with knuckles just as much. The beef bones are pretty large, thick and don't splinter. I buy three every weekend so I can get some peace and quiet! :lol: They just keep recycling them, hiding, finding and thinking they are brand new every week![/b]
I used to buy marrow bones at the market and cook them up for Moe. He loved them. In the summer I'd freeze them for him... a nice refreshing treat when it got hot. Fresh cooked bones can be messy till the marrow is gone so bones were always an outside treat. I found out that the squirrels also love bones. I've watched them drag Moe's un-guarded bones to the stand of hollys in our yard where they try to carry them up one of the biggest trees. They get about halfway up before they finally drop the heavy bone. They have to content themselves to knawing at the bones on the ground (when Moe and Tally are in the house, of course). There are several old bones sitting under the hollies with squirrel teeth marks all over them... :rolleyes:

Moe used to 'bury' rawhides in a corner of my kitchen. He'd take his chewys in there, looking over his shoulder to to make sure no one was watching. Then he'd make digging motions on the floor where my cabinets meet in a corner, drop the chewy and go through the motions of covering it up. :blink: He'd look sneakily around again to make sure no one saw him and then off he'd trot confidently, satisfied that his prize was 'buried' safely in my kitchen until he wanted it. Sometimes there'd be a little pile of chewys 'buried' in 'his' corner. I think he really BELIEVED I couldn't see them sitting there, so I'd just ignore them to humor him.
This conitnued until we got Tally and she stole ALL his chewys and hid them under the couch, where he couldn't fit due to his size. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts