Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you remember, but nearly a year ago I posted this Bogie and a Large Sandwich

He hasn't eaten a sandwich again luckily, but yesterday morning when we woke up, the exact same thing I described about his eye had happened again. Slightly puffy/swollen around the eye, bulging out a bit, the underskin and inner eyelid poking out, and very red. However he didn't have the pain as last year (he let me touch the area with little struggle) and he had tried to scratch it a few times. We had stayed the night at a friends house on the way to the ABC Waddle near Syracuse, and we were right on the river and bugs were everywhere. After an hour or so of being awake, the swelling seemed to go down, and he was still acting like himself. We wrote it off as a bugbite because the rest of us had them everywhere, and the lady we bought breakfast from at a bakery had a bug bite on her eye. We went to the waddle and he was acting extraordinarily social and being his goofy self (we won musical hoops!). After the actual waddle part of the day, he wouldn't drink any water. I realized he hadn't drank water most of the day, nor eaten anything. Long story short, we ended up stopping at the emergency vet on the way home from the Waddle. The same vet that was on duty there last year was there and he saw him, suspects its the same thing: retrobulbar abscess with cellulitis (the infection causing the abscess). It is possible that it just happened to occur in the same eye as last time, but he suspects it's probably rooting from something in the mouth, either from a tooth directly, or something that got stuck in his mouth, and caused the infection again, but laid dormant for about a year.

After last years appointment, I made an appointment with my regular vet for a dental so he could inspect that area and he said he didn't find anything, so it was probably a one time thing. But it's happened again. So far I plan on talking to my vet to see what he thinks before I go through putting him under again. I wouldn't want to get him another dental, for the vet to say its nothing, and then have to go to another vet and have him put under again. I know you all have recommended going to the vet schools for additional diagnosis, and I drive by Cornell when I visit my family, so I was considering that as well. But it isn't a place I can regularly access.

Bogie finally ate something this morning, but he is still incredibly lethargic, just laying around wherever I go. The eye looks worse, and if it isn't looking better by later today, we may be headed back to the emergency vet.

Any advice, healing drool, etc is welcomed. Also, I'll post some Waddle pictures when I have some more free time.

UPDATE: After I saw Bogie scratch at his eye for the first time, the e-collar went on. It was too late though, he aimed well and scratched whatever is bulging out of his eye, and bled a little. The emergency vet said there was nothing to do about that and that I shouldn't clean it with anything since it was so near his eye. I brought him to our regular vet office this morning. Luckily he didn't want to eat this morning, so they are going to be able to sedate him today to look in his eye and mouth, take xrays, and hopefully figure out whats wrong (and get a dental while he's under...). They aren't sure whether they will have to remove what is bulging out or if it can be moved back or if antibiotics will take care of it. I'm just sitting near the phone, waiting for the vet to call this afternoon with some news.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am sorry to hear that Bogie isn't feeling well. I think you are right to take him to the vet's office, if he isn't feeling better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually starting to wonder if it is cherry eye, and not the same thing that happened last year. I am going to my regular vet first thing in the morning - the emergency vet said the antibiotic he was given could take more than one day to start working when I called today, so I didn't take him back there. Hopefully we'll figure it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have they ever done pressure checks on his eye when it gets that way? I would ask for an ocular pressure check while you're there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have they ever done pressure checks on his eye when it gets that way? I would ask for an ocular pressure check while you're there.[/b]
He was checked last year. There are still no signs of glaucoma.

Anyway, today he went to his regular vet. He was sedated and x-rayed. The vet said it is not cherry eye because the third eyelid is not detached in anyway. The vet pulled a tooth in the back of his mouth but said it wasn't likely that the tooth caused the inflammation. The tooth was pulled because it was loose. Then the vet put a needle into Bogie's mouth and went as deep as the third eyelid to allow any fluid to drain. Ultimately, the vet didn't have an explanation as to what was going on. Right now, we're just hoping for the best and we're continuing his antibiotics.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I don't know if any of you remember, but nearly a year ago I posted this Bogie and a Large Sandwich

I know you all have recommended going to the vet schools for additional diagnosis, and I drive by Cornell when I visit my family, so I was considering that as well. But it isn't a place I can regularly access.[/b]
Sorry to hear about this- not having a diagnosis is frustrating. If it happens again maybe you can try Cornell - sometimes a vet school can help when local vets ar stumped- I'll be interested in what happens down the road.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry it's taken so long to respond, I've been out of the country for about 12 days! Bogie went to stay with grandma (my mom) while I was away and perhaps he just needed to be spoiled rotten. I believe he was given chicken soup, which cures any ailment, and probably a lot more table scraps than he is used to. He finished his antibiotics fine and is back to acting like himself.

I think the right eye still looks a bit saggier/redder than the left eye, so I am going to call the vet to see if she recommends more antibiotics or anything. But I sort of remember after last years occurrence, the right eye looked redder for a couple of months after it happened. But since he is back to acting like himself, its hard to think that anything is bothering him right now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts