Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bogie had his anal glands drained yesterday along with the teeth cleaning. Is is normal for them to act very sore afterwards? Bogie had his drained once before with no problems, but he's still not himself this morning. His mouth seems fine, eating OK, but walking with his tail down and whimpers and acts like he is hurting and shivers occasionaly. He went out to potty and hunkered down but no results, although he did pea. The vet did say they were very full, and we are wondering if she might have bruised him expressing them. I'm going to give the vet a call when the office opens.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I would call too. It sounds like maybe he did get a bruise or just VERY sore. Anals are a pain the butt :lol: :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Stickers Vet recommended the Metamucil powder, then the wafers for one month. No difference. Then we did the pumpkin. That seems to help slightly but not really enough to buy cans & cans all the time. I am hoping on the Eagle Pack she will empty better. THey have been about 5 weeks so it's still too early to tell. Since I can empty them externally myself hopefully that will be enough.

PLEASE let us know how he's doing. Shivering is definitely pain related. Poor Bogie.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Poor Bogie! Yogi goes to get his anal glands done every 6-8 weeks and he never seems to have a problem afterwards. I have seen vets and techs do this to him and some people are more gentle than others so it is possible that they may have accidently squeezed him too hard. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.
Oh, I did try the pumpkin as well and I don't find it to be very effective. Plus, Yogi decided he doesn't like the taste. He would eat a circle around the pumpkin! :lol:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I express Francis's anal sacs myself and it doesn't seem to bother him. I only have to do it once or twice a year because he gets 1/4 can of pumpkin every meal. He really likes it so no problem there. I ran out of pumppkin once and used Metamucil and didn't notice any difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I express Francis's anal sacs myself and it doesn't seem to bother him. I only have to do it once or twice a year because he gets 1/4 can of pumpkin every meal. He really likes it so no problem there. I ran out of pumppkin once and used Metamucil and didn't notice any difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to get Dee's done once a month, they were really bad. If I missed 1 week the house would smell really bad ofter a while the gupe was just leaking out of her bottom onto everything. My bed my carpet and that smell now makes me sick even now that I am thinking about it I can smell it :eek: . About a year and a half ago I had her glands surgicly removed and its the BEST thing I have ever done. My house now smells great (Well it smells great to me, hound smell :lol: ) and she is so much happier for it. She always looked so sad (well as sad as a Basset can) that other people could smell it..
I would recomend it to anyone's fur babies that has a gland problem.. Best thing I have ever done.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Anal Gland surgery is not something you do without serious thought. It is a very complicated surgery that must be done by a skilled Vet. He or she should have experience with this surgery. I had my German Shepherd's anals removed years ago. It was a very hard recovery for him. He had so much scar tissue from past infections that it made the left gland hard to remove. That left him with NO bowel control for a full 3 weeks. I lived in the tile family room with him with pads all over the floor. He also had some other complications which required drains to be put in. After about 3 months he made a full recovery. In the long run it was the right decision but one that must be seriously thought out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts