Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the midst of catching up on the past month's worth of basset posts the past day or so (i've just started graduate school and now browsing time is fairly limited. When I get home at the end of the day, Bogie doesn't want me going through the internet when I could be playing with him) the weather man said we would have bad rain. And bad rain we have. This is the first time Bogie has been around very hard, very large raindrops with me. He doesn't mind the thunder, and he really enjoys looking out the window at everything going outside. However, him going outside is a different story.

This morning when I suited up to take him out on a wet walk, he went out to the grass directly in front of the house, did part the first part of his business very quickly, and then ran back up the front steps into the house. He spent about 15 minutes constantly doing his shake thing, I assume because he didn't want to be wet. Since he came back in the house on his own, I figured he was done enough for now and I'd take him out again in a little while before I left for class. Well he wanted to go out again, and this time I put on his little jacket so he wouldnt get as wet. He went out the front door and stayed on the top step. He stared and got his little grumpy i'm scared face as he went down the stairs one at a time (he usually trots down as he loves being outside) He would not budge from being under the cover of the front of the house, however he will not go potty on concrete, only on grass. I tried giving him a little tug. He put one paw on the grass, and again ran up the stairs. This happened again before I really had to leave so I wasn't late.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get him to actually go out in the rain. I tried his jacket and keeping the umbrella over him, not me, but he just wouldn't do it! I don't know if he'll feel the same way about snow, but we have bad winters up here and I don't know just how long he can actually hold it for!

I took Bogie home to meet my family a couple of weeks ago, and they all loved him to death. He even came on a little vacation with me and my mother. The highlight of the visit was him falling head over heels for a basset that lives on the block behind my house! She's a 5 year old tri-color. They had playdates frequently over the week, so I took a couple videos of them together and thought I'd share them with you all!

http://www.youtube.com/v/u3OCsd2YOJ4

http://www.youtube.com/v/SkBY-8Du95g

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis would rather walk on hot coals than wet grass. I'm figuring it's a basset thing.
Anyway, can you dry out the grass first??? :blink: Maybe with a hair dryer?
I just refuse to let His Majesty in the house until he's completed his business. He hates it but what are ya gonna do?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Mine are like that to, need a firm boot in the butt before they go out in wet grass to pee... ;)

Your videos were very funny, easy to see they are in love! :p

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
775 Posts
Copper also hates rain and wet grass. I have also done the unbrella over him and me standing out in the rain. I even went so far as to pull my car out from under the shelter so he could go there without being rained on. Patty and Dolly love the rain so there is no problem there. The videos were great. :p

·
Registered
714 Posts
My hounds will hold it till they are ready to burst, but they will then go outside to do their business. Almost always, they get it over with and come straight in. But, being bassets, once in a while they have to do the unexpected, like staying out in the pouring rain till they are completely drenched.

They did that 2 or 3 weeks ago in the middle of the night, then ran upstairs and jumped on the bed! Nothing quite like soaking wet, muddy, stinky hounds waking you up at 3 am! (Another downside to the doggy door.)

My wife pulled the covers over her head and shouted some four-letter words at me so I had to dry them and clean up everything. Dudley and Minnie seemed to think it was the most fun ever!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe is completely unaffected by the weather. Tally, however, believes she will melt if water touches her... :blink:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I came home the other day after a down pour, both were running around outside soaking wet. They love the snow too, and that will be here soon enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts