Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bogie has the last couple of weeks had been lifting his right front foot when standing, looked like a pointer and never limped so we didn't think much about it. We just laughed and said he must have some pointer in his genes. Then he started doing the same with the left rear leg last Thursday, sort of resting his toe on the ground, and it progressed to a really bad limp over the weekend. Every now and then he would shiver also and looked like he was hurting. He did continue to want to romp and play at times.
We knew about "pano", Bubba had a very mild round with it, limped just a little for a couple of days, be fine and later on another round when he was about a year old, so we were guessing that was the answer. We took Bogie to the vet today, and she thoroughly checked him over, put him under mild anesthesia and really maniuplated the stifle joint, where he had shown symptoms of pain, and took x-rays. The x-rays showed no injuries, nothing abnormal, but suspicious small cloudy dense areas of bone common with pano. So he's on "Metacam" and has to take it easy. No jumping or romping.
Good news was his hip joints looked great.
Has anyone had any experience with panosteitis?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Metacam! Truly a gift from God for hurting puppies! After Franny's last 2 surgeries it was unbelievably helpful in ridding him from those hideous headaches. You could see the difference in his demeanor within a half hour of administration. It's terribly expensive but worth every last penny for its efficacy.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know anything about Pano but LOVE Metacam. In Maggie Mae's final months her arthritis was painful. We gave her a dose of Metacam daily and it was a lifesaver. Like Beverly said very expensive but worth it! Hope he is feeling better soon!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pearly had a pretty severe case of pano when she was a pup. Medication helped but there were times she would just cry out. She was so little it was heartbreaking. Then she grew out of it and has never had any problems since. Good luck. yvonne

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Willie had it and outgrew it around 18 months. It'd just flare every now and then. We used the rimadyl off and on. Jake had a bit of it as well from 8 -15 months- We had a couple of ER night/weekend visits due to pain before our vet just stocked us with the rimadyl to have on hand... and then of course he never had problems again :roll:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Charlie had it on and off until he was almost three years old. I always assumed the pain must be tremendous because bassets are so stoic.....

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm worried about Murphy having pano. The breeder did say to me that the only issue all of her hounds have had is pano. Other than that, there's no history of illness with her hounds. I guess it is genetic if ALL of her hounds have had it. :(

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by Oscar&Murphy's Mom:
Other than that, there's no history of illness with her hounds.
This sort of claim usually means

1. The breeder is not being straightforward with her puppy buyers.
2. The breeder isn't following up on her puppies, a red flag that may signal irresponsible breeding.
3. The breeder is inexperienced, and hasn't bred any puppies that have reached an age where various health problems usually occur. However, the breeder should have some knowledge as to what sorts of health problems the dogs behind her dogs have, and should be willing to discuss these issues with her puppy buyers.

That said, good luck, and I hope things work out for you.

[ February 28, 2006, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
335 Posts
Daisy has had a few bouts with it, it lasts a few weeks and goes away. Her brother has had it much worse, to the point of crying all night, and he has to have vet visits and meds, but Daisy merely limps a bit, sleeps a lot, plays very little and gets very cuddly.

I was under the impression it wasn't so much an illness as just growing pains--that their bone's growth plates aren't keeping up with their fast growth, thus causing the aches?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is some info on "Pano" that I copied from another site. It is an actual inflamation of the bone and according to our vet very painful.

"Panosteitis, or Pano as it is commonly called, is a disease which affects the long bones in growing young dogs, mostly of the larger breeds, but occasionally is seen in some smaller breeds as well. German Shepherds are one of the breeds who are often presented with lameness and limb pain between 5 and 18 months of age, and many veterinarians diagnose Pano as it's cause.

The first signs of Pano are often a slight lameness in one leg, progressing to a severe limp and possibly non-use of the affected leg. It may last for days to weeks, and may seem to resolve then recur in the same leg, or another one. Some dogs can exhibit lameness in more than one, or even all legs at the same time. Often Pano shows up in a foreleg first. Bouts of lameness can come and go, seemingly for months. Some dogs suffer from Pano off and on until they are nearing 2 years of age or even beyond. I believe a case has been documented in a 5 year old dog, but that is unusual. Most cases start near the end of rapid growth, about 5 to 6 months of age, and are cleared up by 12 to 18 months of age. Males seem to be more affected than females, but both sexes can exhibit signs.

Radiographic signs, those seen on an x-ray, can be elusive when diagnosing Pano. The bones most affected are the radius and ulna (the foreleg), the humerus (upper arm), the femur (thigh) and the tibia (lower rear leg). Pano is an inflammation of the bone itself, the cortex (outer shell) becomes less distinct and foggy, and the interior of the bone seems to increase in density. Pano lesions are not always seen on an X-ray even though the dog may be showing clinical signs of lameness and pain."

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
No experience with pano, but I also use Metacam, for Sadie's arthritis. I agree, it works wonderfully. However, beware of it for long term use. Sadie showed significant liver problems from it. We went through several arthritis meds, but none worked like Metacam. So, she continues to take Metacam daily along with Denosyl, to keep her liver healthy. She also gets regular blood tests to check on the health of her liver. Hope everything goes well for Bogie.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys. Hopefully he will recuperate quickly and will not be on Metacam very long. Thanks for the heads up on long term use.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Don't want to raise any unnecesary fears, just be aware, especially in dogs beyond 2, that Blastomycosis affects bones. Dukes very first symptom was limping in his left front leg. Who knew what was to come. It was misdiagnosed. :(

Sandy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts