Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bogie had surgery around four this afternoon to remove the rock. The vet said he made it through the surgery fine, and all looked very good. She scoped his stomach and intestines to check for damage and just sight irritation, no cuts slits, etc from the rock. They gave him mineral oil last night, and he was fine earlier today eating, bouncing around, etc. She x-ray again around noon and the rock had moved from his stomach into the small intestine. Unfortunately it got lodged on it's journey and around three this afternoon he was showing signs of distress and started vomiting. So it was time for surgery. We are just so greatful that he made it through the surgery without and complications.
Not sure when he will get to come home, but Guy will get to go see him tomorrow. I have a doctors appointment and can't go, so Dad will go and hold his paw for awhile. The vet said when families visit the dogs do better.

Keep the healing drool coming and thanks so much for all the kind words and thoughts.
Connie

·
Registered
932 Posts
Omigosh! How did I miss this? Thank goodness he's OK. You must have been so worried! Drool from Daisy & Sally :D

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sending warm wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery. :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hope he's home soon!
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hope he continues to improve with no complications and is home very, very soon.

We'll keep sling drool your way.

Elvis, Georgia, Ginger, Maggie & Crissy

·
Registered
773 Posts
Our Edith Ann is a rock eater. It's a nightmare to have a dog with a propensity for rocks, especially when said dog is a basset and has its nose to the ground 24/7. I don't understand why they do this, and I'm astounded at the size of the rocks they can swallow! Edith is not allowed in the yard without someone watching her like a hawk. We have plans to pave/fence a portion of the yard for her, so that occasionally we can let her out and not have have to go with her.

Healing vibes to Bogie, and cyberhugs to all of you.....

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Aruuuu,

Everyone says "once a rock eater, always a rock eater." But a PBHC member's dog Thurston had three rock surgeries when he was young. She had a veterinary behaviorist, Amy R. Marder, VMD come to the house and he never did it again. I forgot what the treatment plan was for him and I suspect it would vary with each situation. It might be worth a consult with her-cheaper than surgery. She's in Lexington at Tel.: (781) 862-5060 or email her at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To update you on Bogie, he is doing pretty good, considering what he has been through. My husband went to see him at the vets this morning, and Bogie was up and about and a little loopy. They had Guy take him for a short walk outside and with lots of hugs and petting. He's on liquid diet for now, Tagamet for his tummy, antibiotics, pain meds, and injecting water under the skin to keep him hydrated.
The lodged rock was about the size of a good sized walnut before shelling. He has an incision from his sternum to his crotch, about 10 inches long. The vet said the lodged rock had stretched his intestine at that point so thin that you could read a newspaper though it. She did do lazer surgery which is less stressful and they heal faster. Fortunately no damage was done and all looked OK after removal. If all goes well tonight and tomorrow, he may be able to come home late tomorrow evening.

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts, prayers, and healing drool.
Aroooos from Bogie, Guy, and Connie

M

·
0 Posts
SO glad Bogie is on the road to recovery. I know you will be so relieved when he is back home. I'm sure your house is really quiet without him. Sending more healing drool to Bogie!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Healing drool for Bogie and good thoughts for you.

Karen,Copper,Dolly,Patty and Tillie

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Continued warm thoughts and healing drool headed Bogie's way. Poor baby! One minute having the perfect day and the next...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
How did I miss this? I need to check other forums besides general.

So sorry about Bogie, I sure hope he bouces back. And I hope he learns from this, although probably not, just because he's a basset!!! How scary for you. (and expensive)

I had to take a rock out of Moose's mouth last night on a walk. :roll:

Sandy

B

·
0 Posts
Oh what a sad thing to happen. Hope no more complications. Healing drool and hugs. Tummy Boy's Mom.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Healing drool and prayers from overseas to sweet Bogie!

I guess I need to check these other forums too,
I haven't seen this either - sorry about that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts