Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the cards from the forum Christmas card exchange to the nursing home last week for a pet therapy visit. One of the patients I visit is declining and can't talk very much, so I sat next to her and showed her each card in turn, and told her a little story about each dog: where they lived, a little something about the dog, and the dog's name.

It turns out that she used to own a basset named Lola many years ago, who looked exactly like Bogie Carter- so guess where Bogie is now! I left the card right next to Shirley's bed where she can look at him to her heart's content-she was smiling at him when we left- :lol:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That's so sweet. Things like that make such a difference. I actually thought about putting together a book of people's stories about their favorite dog. I got the idea when my aunt died. There were a bunch of photos from throughout her life, and several contained dogs. I asked some of the older people there about the dogs in the really old photos, and inevitably someone would respond: "Oh, that was Rex. That was the best dog I ever knew. He could..." And the stories were incredible. Even my grandmother, who came to the funeral home but who isn't always lucid, snapped right to attention when I asked about one of the dogs and started telling stories. A nursing home would be a great place to get stories, and I know the residents would love to talk. As a matter of fact, my grandmother's nursing home has a resident dog, so that might be a good place to start.

·
Registered
775 Posts
What a wonderful story. Bogie is such a special boy he is bringing happiness even though he is snowed in.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, wow!!! That is so awesome!!! It brings tears to our eyes to know that Bogie is carrying on the the Christmas card tradition of making people smile, that Bubba started in 2005 when Corvuss' wife gave Bubba's card to "Little Charles Stanley" in the hospital. For you new members you can read the whole touching story of "Bubba's card" by using the "Search " on the forum: Type in "Christmas cards" : Then scroll through until you find "Charles Stanley's story" posted by Corvuss. Bubba sadly went to the bridge December 20, 2005 from Lymphoma cancer as a seven year old..

This was Bubba's picture on the 2005 Christmas card.

Bogie's picture on the 2006 Christmas card. (Bogie's mom and Bubba were from the same litter)

Murraysmom, thank you so much for sharing this with us, and once again the Christmas card exchange has meant so much to others and touched someone elses life in a special way. Bogie will be very excited to know that his card brought a smile to Shirley's face. You are a truly special person to do therapy work and to bring smiles and joy to others.
Guy and Connie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts