Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news: We just wanted to let everyone know that we are in our new home in Memphis. The moving van came in Tuesday, August 5th, and everything arrived OK. We are now buried in boxes and the fun begins with unpacking and deciding where to put things. The closing on the house went great and a nice trip to St. Joesph, Missouri.

The bad news: On Friday August 1st after leaving Mitchell,SD we stayed in the Super 8 in St. Joseph, Missouri. I was returning to our motel room on the second floor with Bogie after a potty run before bed. Guy was inside watching TV and getting ready for bed. Just as I was putting the key card in the door, the door to the room three doors down opened, and two pit bull dogs came tearing out of that room. The lady/ owner was standing in the hall calling them, and then came running when she saw that they were attacking Bogie. One went for his head the other grabbed his grabbed his right rear leg. I was penned against the wall, and I was screaming for help and started beating and pulling one of the dogs. Guy heard me yelling, Bogie screaming in pain, and came out of the room barefooted and in his underwear. The lady was trying to pull off one dog that had Bogie's right rear leg. We were on the floor trying to get the other dog's jaws pried off Bogie's head. We were kicking, screaming for help, and someone who came out in the hall called 911. Guy was finally able to get Bogie loose from the pit bull that had his right frnt leg at that point and was able to hold the pit bull down by laying on top of the dog and pinning it to the ground. The lady and I were finally able to get the other dog's jaws open, and I was able to get Bogie back into the room. I was a basket case, white as a sheet, out of breath, and had a badly bitten finger. Poor Bogie was a mess lying in a puddle of blood. The EMT's, fire department, police, and animal control all arrived. Since my blood pressure was so high, and I had the pacemaker, they put me under oxygen and took me to the St. Joe ER by ambulance. Guy got dressed, the EMT's called an emergency vet, and then led him to an emergency vet who worked on Bogie and kept him overnight. Guy then came to the hospital to check on me and have his bite wounds checked.

Bogie has bite puncture wounds all over his right rear leg, up under his right thigh, back lower tummy, under his right front arm pit, and all on top of his right front leg, one on his lip, and one on his tail, some of which were stitched up and some had drains put in. He was put on pain meds and antibiotics. We were able to pick him up at noon on Saturday and continue our journey. The vet there did an awesome job on him and told us he would be OK to travel. So we continued on to Columbia, MO where we spent the night. Then Sunday we headed to Memphis and got here about 5:30 PM.

We took Bogie to a vet here on Monday the 4th to be rechecked, and he removed the drains.He goes back on the 15th to have stitches removed. Bogie is improving but really really hobbles on the right rear. and is one sad looking Basset. The vet said the ACL may be torn as well, but that we will cross that bridge when he heals enough from his bite wounds. Bogie is still on antibiotics and pain meds. Thankfully his head, back, left side, and ears were OK, and he didn't damage the ACL repair on the left side.

Back to Connie: I had my middle finger on the palm side stitched up with four stitches leaving the rest open to drain. I lost some pieces of flesh, and had it been a normal cut it would have taken about 14 stitches to close it up. My blood pressure went down, heart OK, so they released me about midnight Friday night after stitching my finger, and I'm on antibiotics. I saw a doctor here today, and he rechecked my finger. It should heal OK with a nasty scar, but it will take a while. Guy didn't have stitches, but has several bite and puncture wounds on his hands and claw scrapes on his feet, so he's on antibiotics, too. We both have lots of bruises, pulled muscles from our efforts to free Bogie and are very sore, but OK. It could have been much worse, and we are just grateful the pit bulls didn't turn on us, and we were able to save Bogie.

The two pit bulls were taken and impounded. At the time of the attack they had no collars on and no leashes. We are in the process now of working with the animal control and police of St. Joe, getting the reports, etc. and getting advice on how to handle all of this. So we now have the claim to fame of being pit bull attack survivors.

Back to good news! Our daughter came from Little Rock to help start the unpacking process and was here through the weekend. We are OK, our bruises and bumps are improving, Bogie will heal again, and we will get unpacked. Please send Bogie some healing drool, and I'll try to keep you posted. For now internet is with cell phone.
Connie

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am glad it was not worst than what happened.........especially with pits being involved where their in the news for not just killing other dogs but humans as well. They say never come between fighting dogs but human nature takes over and you want to protect your dog............I would do the same thing.

Glad everyone is healing up.

I see your back in TN just before the new Season begins............GO VOLS!!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
When I clicked on the forum the only portion that showed was "Bogie Carter attacked by two p" I was desperately hoping it said puppies and it was a cute picture of Bogie Carter playing with some puppies, but my heart and stomach knew otherwise. What a scary scary ordeal you have all been through. I'm glad physically everything is going to be okay, but I know emotionally the healing will probably take longer! Keep us posted!

~Heather

·
Registered
86 Posts
OMG..I am so sorry to read this and hope everyone is on the mend soon! We had a Catahoula Hound attacked by an Akita and it was awful and she had her neck ripped open and took 160 stitches to close the wound. Standing there watching almost gave me a heart attack and there was nothing I could do. The owner was finally able to grab the dog off of ours.

When you stopped in Columbia, MO I WISH you would have gone to their vet school which is one of the best in the country and they could have given Bogie a look over. They have a wonderful ER for dogs and our vet told us he has had Bassets that have discs that slip and he tells them to get to U. of MO right away cause they can help the situation since they are very familar with Bassets.

I know how sad it is to look at Bogie since it is such a sad sight and our poor Catahoula looked pathetic for so long and just broke our hearts to see her like that knowing what she went through. Took her a long time before she would go outside without us.

Know we will be thinking of you guys and hoping everyone is back to normal soon and what a horrific experience!

Take care!!!

Kathy

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am so sorry that all of that happened to you and Bogie. I wish they would outlaw the American Pit Bull, because the bloodlines are all screwed up and they are just a set of dogs I wouldn't trust PERIOD.

I really do hope the own is held liable for what happened to Bogie. The attack was senseless and if you CANNOT handle your dog, you shouldn't own them.

I'm glad Bogie lived through the dilemma, but I know he will be traumatized for a while. Give me a big hug for me and I hope you and your family enjoy Memphis.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
How horrible for all of you! Let us know how Bogie is doing.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh, I do understand. Biscuit was jumped by a pit bull years ago. Fortunately, nothing happened, but I saw the same pit tear a dachsand to shreds with the help of another pit while its owners banged it on the head and body with a shovel to get it off. Didn't work.

I am so, so glad it wasn't worse.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The owner of those pit bulls was an incredibly stupid moron who deserves to be attacked herself. I don't believe that any breed should be outlawed but I believe many bully breed owners should be taken out back and shot. Even my sweet, blind, beloved Francis should never be taken out of and into a strange place without a secure collar and leash. It's pure common sense.
At my park there are a bunch of great pitbulls who are owned by very smart, sensible people who know how to bring dogs up to be great pets and pleasantly socialized animals. Too bad that bozo wasn't one of them. Now three dogs are suffering.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
What a horrific experience--I'm so sorry for you and Bogie. :eek: Best wishes for speedy physical and emotional recovery for you both. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
How horrible, I just felt sick when I read your post. I can't imagine what you were going through. I hope you all heal fast.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
How terrible. My thoughts are with all of you for a quick recovery.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I can just imagine you and your husband down on the floor fighting those pits for Bogies life- what an image!

Thank God Bogie survived and you and your husband are OK-

Please let us know how you all are doing with the aftermath of this horrible trauma- you're in my thoughts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How horrifying for all of you!! We'll keep you in our thoughts and hope for a speedy recovery. My stomach just sinks everytime I think of what happened to you.

I hope settling into your new house is going well!

·
Registered
272 Posts
oh my goodness! I am so sorry you went through this. Just brought tears to my eyes! Pitbulls around where I live are now banned due to their nature and due to all of the incidents such as yours. Although they say never to get in the middle, i don't blame you i would have done everything possible to save Louie. I can't even imagine the feelings you were going through! Louie's sending you lots of healing drool! Glad you made it to your destination!
Take care,
Dana

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I clicked on the forum the only portion that showed was "Bogie Carter attacked by two p" I was desperately hoping it said puppies and it was a cute picture of Bogie Carter playing with some puppies, but my heart and stomach knew otherwise. What a scary scary ordeal you have all been through. I'm glad physically everything is going to be okay, but I know emotionally the healing will probably take longer! Keep us posted!

~Heather[/b]

I thought the same thing as Heather, "puppies" and was hoping it was puppies.. OMG poor B.C. I hope he mentally recovers as well.. Will the pit bulls be terminated? I know if that happened in AUST then they was legally have to be. I think that its not the breed that is bad but the owners. If they raised them to be kind loving dogs then they would have just played but some people teach their dogs bad things :angry: ..
You guys must have been so frightened, I know I would have been.
Kisses and BIGGG cuddles from me and all of the drool that Dee can muster..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Stella was attatck by a pit while she was on her tie out, now she is leash aggressive and a challenge around other dogs.
What a horrible thing to go through. Thank god someone called the police and ambulance. Duncan wishing Bogie feeling better and ready to run soon.

·
Registered
465 Posts
OMG!!!!!! :unsure: How horrible and I'm so glad it wasn't worse, although it couldn't have been much worse, could it? Sounds like the owner of those dogs should be impounded too. Why, oh why, do people act so irresponsibly? Poor BC! Elmer, Button & Dee Dee send tons of healing drool his way and to you and Guy as well!

Hope the recovery goes smoothly!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I felt sick when I read this. How awful for Bogie Carter and you and your husband. Wishing you all a speedy and full recovery, both physically and emotionally. What a nightmare! Please keep us posted on how everyone is doing. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts