Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My year is up for the house I currently live in. As I've had quite a few problems when it came to the apartment as well as my current roommate leaving, I decided to find somewhere new. A friend of mine has offered me a spot in the house she lives in, with 2 other people and her little Jack Russel, Nora. Nora and Bogie get along great. They are about the same age and love to chase each other and play. Nora, however, is extremely territorial. Everyonce in a while we both have our dogs with us at work, and if Bogie so much as walks past my friends office with Nora inside, Nora does not like it. Take her 3 feet down the hall, and the two of them are best friends again. In fact, she gets extremely submissive. Bogie isn't territorial. The only time he ever barks if someone tries to come in the apartment is when I am there with him, so it seems like he is protecting me, not his house. It would be a new apartment for Nora as well, so she wont associate that house as her territory right off the bat. We plan on getting the two dogs more used to each other, taking them to each others houses for a few hours and playing outside before we move. I am just guessing that Nora will become the alpha dog of the house, and Bogie the submissive little guy. Bogie has lived with other dogs, so I know he can do it as long as they are willing to play. Nora has never lived with another dog. I was wondering if anyone had any advice before I go ahead and sign a new lease. The two dogs will be together during the day while we come to work most of the time, and I dont think either of us want to come home to an unhappy situation.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Some pairs seem to establish who's alpha with no problem, but some wannabe alpha's feel the need to pick fights to re-affirm their alpha-hood. I had that problem with my pair, and they're both bassets. Given that one of your pair is a Jack Russell, I'd be a little worried. You and your intended roommate should read up on the subject before moving in together, so you'll both be on the same page about how to prevent or deal with any issues. A neighbor dog who is a Jack Russell is madly in love with my boy Lightning. Lightning is a neutered male. Larry is an unneutered male. Lightning is the most passive dog in the world, but eventually the nonstop humping drives him over the edge and he'll bark at Larry. Luckily Larry is so smitten with Lightning that he's never gotten aggressive. My point is that you never know what will happen with a Jack Russell :blink:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are either of these dogs crate trained?[/b]
No, they are both used to partial free run of the house. Baby gates and doors keep them from the areas they arent allowed in.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a west highland white terrier bitch(westie) and I have to agree I think the terrier will probably be the boss. The biggest problem I have encountered is when Daisy the westie goes into play mode at home. Even though she is less than half his weight, she plays FAR too rough for Toby. She jumps on him at lightening speed, nips him and then jumps over to the other side and does the same thing again. He twists and turns trying to catch her. I now crate her when I'm not at home, and I don't allow them to play when I am there, as I think Toby could really injure his back with this type of play. I've watched him play with bigger dogs and it is much gentler and more mouthing and rolling but these little terriers play far too aggressively for a basset IMO.

Think I would definately separate them when they are home alone. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts