Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday night Bogie ate a large submarine sandwich my boyfriend and I were going to split for dinner. It had turkey, lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, vinegar,and onion on a whole grain sub. He managed to pick out most of the vegetables, but he had to have eaten some of them, and I had been told previously onions and dogs do not mix. Friday morning he seemed okay, so I fed him a very small breakfast. I get a call later that day from my roommate while I am at work saying Bogie puked. When I get home, he had puked again on the porch. Later that day he puked twice more on the porch. By night time he was acting fine, and doing his "I'm very hungry" routine, so I gave him just a little bit of dry food with water. He kept that down fine. Saturday morning I woke up to his stomach lurching sounds, however all he puked up was foamy/water/bile, so he must have digested his dinner. I called the vet immediately and took him in around 11am. The vet gave him a shot of pepcid to help reduce the acid in his stomach and told me to give him one pill twice a day starting that night. She also told me to make rice and boiled ground beef, and feed him 4-6 small meals. He has been keeping that down just find. Today, a little while after his first meal, which had the pepcid pill in it, I noticed it looked like the area under his right eye was swelling slightly, and pushing his inner eyelid thing up so it was covering half his eye. It doesn't seem to bother him. He doesn't struggle when I touch or act like he was in any pain. I called up the emergency vet, and they said it doesn't sound like an emergency, but to keep watching him and I can always bring him in if he gets worse. He is breathing fine. She said I could give him some benedryl if I really thought it was an allergic reaction. He hasn't wanted to drink any water since yesterday afternoon, so I took him and ice cube and held it in front of him. He went to take it, and once it was in his mouth, he let out a yelp, and moved away. When I put the benedryl mixed in with some rice and beef, he took a few bites (luckily one with the benedryl) and then yelped again and stopped eating. I thoroughly inspected his mouth, and he didn't struggle or act like any part of it hurt. I'm not sure what to think. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. For now, he's just sleeping. It's clear he doesn't feel that well, even he doesn't commonly sleep this much when I'm home. I plan on calling the vet that saw him yesterday tomorrow morning, but they aren't open on Sundays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Sorry I have no suggestions, but I do hope that Bogie will be okay and feel better soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as an update, after a nap his eye was nearly completely covered with his inner eyelid, the swelling was worse, and it was somewhat bulging. I took him to the emergency vet. The doc thinks the two incidents may be unrelated, and is keeping him for a while to do a bunch of tests...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
I'm glad you took him to the vet!

I am clueless about what could be going on, but we''re slinging lots of drool that he is back home soon and feeling all better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I too am glad you took him to the vet. I haven't a clue what could be going on, but good luck with everything. Lily and Gibbs are slinging drool yall's way.

~Heather
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out the sandwich and eye are completely unrelated. He has a abscess of cellulitis behind his eye, making his eye bulge out and swell. After being at the vet for many hours, and on lots of drugs, I got to take him home. The vet suggested to try antibiotics, and if that doesn't work he'll need surgery to empty the abscess. So far the swelling and bulging has gone down from the antibiotics he got yesterday, but now he absolutely refuses to open his mouth, let alone have something put inside it. And sneaking it into food hasn't worked either, he just won't eat it. He is also avoiding me because of how much I've tried to get the pill in his mouth. I brought him into my room to go back to sleep, and he somehow managed to open my door and leave the room, and is currently sitting as far from me in my apartment as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,902 Posts
He must be in a lot of pain. :( Poor guy. :( Best wishes for a quick recovery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
I do hope your Bogie will be on the mend very soon. You might try coating the pill with peanut butter, putting it inside a small slice of hot dog, or rolling cheese in your hand until it softens and roll it around the pill. All of these have worked for us at various times to get meds down. Good luck and keeep us posted on how he does. Our Bogie is sling healing drool your way!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Your vet is sure it's an abscess and not anything else (like canine glaucoma)? I hope all goes well for a speedy recovery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the drool! Bogie has a couple more days left on the antibiotics. Within the first few days there was significant improvement on the eye. Currently you can still tell the difference between the two eyes, but it isn't that apparent. He is done with the painkillers he was on, and I tried brushing his teeth, and there was only the normal struggle, no extra from the tooth in suspicion, so I think that's good news.

Beverly: The emergency vet was the one who checked for everything, but he told me the first few things he was going to check for were all directly related to the eye to protect his vision, and this included glaucoma.

I've been talking to his regular vet during the week. Im going to make an appointment for a dental (because he needs one anyway) so he can get a better look inside his mouth and his eye and hopefully find and remove the cause, if it is still there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
In having to feed tramadol, a very very bitter pill to my basset, I found the best way was:

hidden in cream cheese to seal the smell, then wrapped in roast beef. As well, after I touched the pill, I washed my hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bogie had his dental today. The vet said the swelling has gone down a lot, and he didn't find a cause for the abcess from inside his mouth. He said its possible it was just some other sort of eye infection. His teeth are perfect! For now, I'm just supposed to keep close watch on him, make sure he isnt in any pain, and hope it doesn't come back. I get to pick him up in a few hours, once they get him woken up. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
I'm glad everything went well and that Bogie is home by now. Being spoiled, I'm sure....

Give him lots of belly rubs from us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
In having to feed tramadol, a very very bitter pill to my basset, I found the best way was:

hidden in cream cheese to seal the smell, then wrapped in roast beef. As well, after I touched the pill, I washed my hands.



I take tramadol; maybe I should wrap it in roast beef too! :p

Anyway, how is Bogie now after his horrendous ordeal? Is his eye looking normal yet?

Janice and little Ruby
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top