Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
okay, I know NOTHING about animal genetics, particularly basset genetics.

in humans, however, eye color is hereditary. brown eyes are dominant over blue, etc. should light eyes (ie blue) show up, it means someone in the family tree has blue eyes.

take, for example my immediate family. we all have dark brown eyes. But, I have one grandmother and one aunt with green eyes, altho both my parents have dark brown eyes.

I have one sister and one brother (both with dark brown eyes) who married light eyed people. and all their children came out dark eyed.

now, say my nieces and nephews marry people who also have dark brown eyes BUT who also have blood-relations (mother-grandmother-whatever) with blue-green-hazel-whatever eyes. It is very likely they will have light-eyed kids. And, I THINK they can have light eyed kids, even if the person they marry doesn't have light-eyes in the family tree.

Does that make sense? I forgot the exact ratio for how it works, but it has to do with Mendel and peas and all kinds of strange things. Eye color, from what I understand, is pretty complicated, tho, and I'm not sure they've figured out exactly how it's passed on. or at least that's what I was told about 5-6 years ago (last time I had to take a class on things like this)

In short ... my guess is the pup has some ancestors who were not bassets.

[This message has been edited by biscuit (edited 04-04-2000).]

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
okay, now I always thought "wall-eyed" meant one eye was a wanderer or crossed. is that what you all mean by wall-eyed? and is it directly linked to blue eyes in dogs? or is something else going on here?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
hmm, pretty interesting ...

it's impt. to remember that "looks" only tell part of the story, for pups and humans alike. traits skip generations, etc etc etc, on and on, and sometimes require a mating between two individuals carrying the same trait to appear.

for sure, certain things, like ear size, lack of other features, can tell you if a basset is mixed. I bet, however, that it works like it does for humans.

I know, for example, of an instance of a "white" person coming down with sickle cell anemia. This person had no knowledge of anyone of African American heritage in his ancestry on either his mother's or father's side.

Yet, sickle cell originated in Africa (altho there are some people of South Pacific descent who carry something identical or quite similar to it) and, in America, occurs only in people of African American descent. In short, it was a part of his genetic heritage, altho nobody had any memory of it, and it was no recorded, etc. etc.

the notion that the pup was albino is even more interesting, tho. wow!

I've seen other dogs with one brown-one blue eye. I want to say Australian Shepherds, but I think I'm remembering wrong. I'm pretty sure tho that it is a common trait in a few breeds, but I just can't remember which.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
you know, I watched a show on the Iditerod dogs (apologies to people who actually know how to spell that!), and I remember they said the best sled dogs are mixes, and tend to be husky, etc etc etc AND HOUND!!! I was extremely excited about this, but it certainly makes sense. Biscuit could pull a ford truck around, should he take a notion to it.

on the other hand, I didn't hear them mention retrievers as one of the breeds they mix around with to get those sled dogs. I think I know why -- if they saw a twig drop in the woods, they'd have to go pick it up. imagine the havoc that would create! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts