Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, and thanks in advance for reading this thread. I have housed several bassets over the past 9 years, however, I ended up keeping 2, one passed away about 4 years ago, the other is quite unique, to me anyways. Her name is Pixel, knowwn as Pixie by family and friends. Since birth she has had a pink nose and light eyes, now, 2 years later, she still has a pinkish purplish nose, and her eyes are this aqua color ( yes I know it is undesireable, yes she is full stock, and yes, she has been fixed)
Point of this post is, I am looking for other people with similiar, um, undesired traits in the breed.

·
Registered
972 Posts
SO far my boy still has pink on his nose, but it is going away slowly...he's 9 months old, so i have a feeling it will be gone when he's grown.
But, i really think you should post pictures of pixel : ) i wanna seeeee!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pix

It is hard to get her to keep her head straight on fo a good pic, she is all the time hearing or smelling something so she is always moving around, but I posted a few more on my profile. You should check out Paul Newman the white basset on youtube. Dunno if he is full stock or not, but he was a rescue, and has the most piercing blue eyes I have ever seen, Plus Pixie likes the one where they do an interview on him, when he barks, she looks at the screen and tips her head back and forth, it is super cute!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I do have a fluffy one - definitely undesireable!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I LOVE your fluffy basset, Miriam! What is his/her name?

I've had several come through rescue with one blue/one brown eye. I think it makes for a very striking appearance.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Her name is Gabby.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My lil Bailey is just back and tan no white... All her litter mates were tri-colored, I don't know if that is "undesirable" but she is sooooooo cute! I know Bassets just need to be hound color and she is but I have not seen any like her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI, Annie,

The litter born to my bitch Emmy this spring had two puppies with one blue eye each. Undesirable in the ring, but actually quite charming looking. They are both in great pet homes, where their unusual eye color is fully appreciated... ;)

Sylvie McGee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my search for other blue eyed bassets I have found several with one blue eye, Lol, I even adopted a half basset with a who done it dad for my mom cause she has one blue eye, they are precious!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a 8 week old basset hound for my husband and she has one blue eye and one brown. I didn't think much of it when I bought her but when I was doing research to figure out what causes it I was worried when a lot of sites were saying its a huge fault in the breed. I'm so glad to know that there are others. Her one blue eye is the reason I picked her out of the litter because it was so unique, we've had her for 4 days and she is such a doll. We aren't using her for show so I don't have an issue with her blue eye, I just hope it doens't cause any medical issues like some sites say it does.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It is not a desirable trait and for showing is a fault,she should not be bred either.Some think they should ask more money for puppies with a blue eye but really they should ask less since it is not such a good traite to have.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Since all of my bassets are pets, not for show, I wouldn't care. Must be adorable! But the photos is loading for me. (Gabby's fluffy photo shows just fine.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know it's a flaw but why is it so bad for a basset to have one blue eye? I had never seen one with it before her but the lady I bought her from assured me she was full basset and we did see the daddy just not the mom. We had thought about maybe getting a male when we moved to a farm but if they shouldn't be bread I'm not sure what we should do. Is it really that bad to breed bassets with one blue eye? I'll try and get a picture up of her (I'm at work so no access to her pics), she is so beautiful even with the blue eye :) But if anyone could please tell me why it is considered such a flaw in bassets I would appreciate it since it's normal in some other breads. Thank-you

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There is no law or something saying you can't breed bassets with blue eyes but reputable breeder's try to breed bassets close to the standard that was set up for them.The standard is a blueprint by which if you are breeding for quality you get the things in puppies that bassets are known for,such as,the long ears,the wrinkles,short legs,the things that draw people to bassets to begin with.Blue eyes were never one of these traits,but somewhere a blue-eyed puppy was born and someone thought it would be a good idea to keep breeding for that gene that produces this problem. Instead of trying to breed that trait out. Yes,it may be striking,cute,whatever,but in all accountability it is not something the breed was meant to have,for reputable breeders if it pops up in their puppies they are sold as pets usually with spay or neuter contracts.I show my dogs as does Sylvie and Soundtrack ,we know our lines ,you have no idea what could be produced in a litter of puppies with two blue-eyed parents,at some point the genes could mutate, now,you have puppies with blue-eyes and are blind. Then what.No one should even want to take that chance.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Blue eyse are cause by a lack of pigment in the iris. This may but not alway that is even most of the time not be an indication of possible deafness on that side because deafnes is tied to lack of hair pigmentation in the ear.
But if anyone could please tell me why it is considered such a flaw in bassets I would appreciate it since it's normal in some other breads. Thank-you
The number of breed that two eye colors is acceptable is small and most of those are breed with a Merle coat coloration. Merle is a gentic mutation that bilaterial ie 1 set of merle genes is not a real problem but breed merle to merle will create blind and deaf dogs. but even still the merle gene is associate with a higher level of deafness. as is the Piebald ( lot of white] coat gene in a number of dogs. Pigemented hairs are required for hearing if there are none the dog may be uni or bilaterially deaf. Some breed tolerate this because the merle coat color is deamed "desirable" yet it is a genetic defect. Keep in mind the reason a basset is short is a genetic defect as well

Genetics of Deafness in Dogs
The cause of the vascular degeneration is not known, but appears to be associated with the absence of pigment producing cells (melanocytes) in the blood vessels
Merle
Retrotransposon insertion in SILV is responsible for merle patterning of the domestic dog
Dogs heterozygous or homozygous for the merle locus exhibit a wide range of auditory and ophthalmologic abnormalities, which are similar to those observed for the human auditory–pigmentation disorder Waardenburg syndrome.
in other breed the are a number of disease and conditions than can cause this that are not desirable hence the fault. keep in different eye colors can be congenetial occuring at birth but not genetic. such as trauma in the womb etc.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Emmie, I don't breed nor show either of my dogs. They are just my babies. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the blue eye unless you find a definite health reason to be concerned.

Just love and spoil the pup!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts