Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High Country Rescue here in Colorado got in a number of basset puppies in the past week. Of course they were all adopted almost immediately as tends to happen with the puppies. I actually passed on one knowing this to be the case, plus I'm not quite ready yet to make the commitment so soon. I'm expecting to foster an adult starting next week. But these puppies all had blue eyes, which I take it is a confirmation no-no, and I'm wondering how common this is and how do they get them?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't know but wow is that a beautiful puppy.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't know the answer either, but I agree--what a striking pup! Man, if my dogs had blue eyes, they'd be even more obnoxious than they are now--I could NEVER say no to them!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the more I look at her the more I think maybe I should have taken her. I really like how serious she looks. But I passed for some reasons, not all of which are entirely rational. 1. I'm sure there were other folks lined up to adopt her. Her five or so siblings were adopted immediately. 2. I have this desire to get another pup with some connection, however remote, to Harold, even if it means driving half way across the country. 3. I really like the lemon/white color, the whiter the better. Pairs well with a black and tan. 4. I am partial to male dogs. Actually it's not right to say partial, I've had so many female fosters and I treat them just like the boys and they're just as tough. But to me dogs are males and cats are females. I know this sounds chauvanistic but when it comes to humans I guess you could call me a feminist, so I'm not sure where it comes from. Anyway it's just me and my wife, and she's pretty good at making the household "girly," and I work from home to boot so I like to pal around "with the boys."

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Newly opened basset eyes have a blue tint to them but should change to a dark brown etc. ,way before the age of this puppy. Someone trying to breed a new gimmic into the breed instead of breeding it out. :angry: And where did they end up? The shelter! Which is great because then they will be neutered before placing in a new home. :D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I copied this from the AKC Standard for Basset Hounds:

The eyes are soft, sad, and slightly sunken, showing a prominent haw, and in color are brown, dark brown preferred. A somewhat lighter-colored eye conforming to the general coloring of the dog is acceptable but not desirable. Very light or protruding eyes are faults.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not sure if it's exactly the same for dogs as humans, but it is all about genetics. In humans we have 2 genes for eye color, one from each parent. Blue is a recessive gene. In order for someone to have blue eyes they have to have 2 "blue" genes (one from each parent). Someone with brown eyes can have either 2 "brown" eye genes or 1 "brown" and 1 "blue". So the parents of these puppies would, I assume, have 2 "blue" eye genes each. Otherwise some of the puppies would have brown eyes. This is basically someone breeding unusual looking (and conformationally incorrect) Bassets to make a buck. Go figure!! A responsible, ethical Basset breeder would never breed a line that they knew to have the "blue" eye gene. This is a very simplifyed genetics lesson going back to the late '70's when I was a biology major in college. I accept no responsibility for any innacuracies due to the last 30 years of growing older! Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Added to reply. I've only "owned" female Bassets, which I prefer. I've fostered about 40 of both sexes. The males are so much easier to train and live with, as the girls are much more independant and aloof. Similar to my personality. Hence the connection. BUT, I've only owned male Labradors (my other breed). LOVE the big dopey do-what-ever-you-want-me-to-do-Lab boys. Basset grrrls, Lab boys. They make a great team. Take care, Belinda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts