Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question concerning Woody...He is five months old and I believe still teething. On occasion, like today, he was tussling with his brother the chihauhau and I noticed blood smears on Victors fur (no cuts on him or Woody). This has happened a few times and every so often his breath even has that blood smell. He doesn't seem in discomfort and he was just neutered and had pre surgery blood work and didn't show as a bleeder. Is this common in a puppy losing their puppy teeth??? Am I just being over concerned or should I give the vet a call???

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Woody's mom

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's probably that Woody is losing his baby teeth, but just make sure there aren't any dental issues or other kinds of mouth injuries. I remember the first time I picked up one of Molly's toys and it had blood smears on it. It's unsettling! Look in his mouth. Is he missing teeth?

Hoping that's all it is :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
The same thing happened to both of ours when they were teething. Blood on the toys, blood on the carpet a couple of times, they're mouths smelled like blood. I'm sure he's just teething. Maybe you'll find one of his baby teeth! I've got four of Doppler's and one or two of Virga's. I keep them in old film canisters. If you don't find any, he probably swallowed them which is ok too. I think they're supposed to be swallowed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you everyone...I was hoping that was all it was.and yes he is losing teeth although I havent found any of them yet...I was just concerned when you see and smell the blood..

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They swallow most of their puppy teeth but you are right to be concerned about the bleeding because there are bassets with bleeding problems out there.I just had Esa tested for Thrombopathia before I bred her ,Thank God she is clear.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The only reason we got one of Virga's teeth was because she was playing with it. I thought it was a bug or something so I went over to take it from her and saw that it was a tooth!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys and Bubbad, that was one of my first thoughts and concerns was the bleeding disorder...I am not breeding Woody and had the Vet's office aware of Basset tendencies for this disorder before his neutering surgery along with his other pre-surgery bloodwork.....still caused me a little concern when his white brother comes away with blood smears....

you folks are a tremendous group and great resource....It's a wonderful Basset support (and dare I say Brag) group...

Thanks again,

Woody and his mom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts