Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the morning with Summit Search and Rescue ( http://www.ssarbloodhounds.org/index.html ) helping with bloodhound training on the campus of our college.

Here is Sergeant Sam Shipley of the York County Sheriff's Dept. unloading Lou from the van. Lou is 18 months old and not officially working yet, although he's been out on alot of calls.

Here's Lou in his Sheriff's vest working. The dogs know that when the vest goes on, they're on the job.

Here's Lou taking a pause to catch the scent:

Here's Lou finding Jasmine- when the dog makes a find, he stands up on the person he's tracked, and gets verbal praise:

We froze- it's around zero this morning with the wind chill, but I loved every minute of it! These dedicated folks sometimes go out 3-4 times each week to help find lost children, Alzheimers patients who have wandered off, or drowning victims-

They train every month and always need volunteers to help- I know I'll be doing this again!

And of course, Murray went crazy when I came home with the scent of bloodhounds all over me- I think his feelings are hurt and he's been sulking since I came back!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Great photos, interesting post--thanks! My tracking buddy has a FEMA dog, and she tells stories about how cold it is for "victims" who have to hide in the rubble pile during training in the winter. Looks like the above "victim" found a nice, warm place to wait. :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That's awesome. Not that I don't love my Bassets, but I would love to have a Bloodhound. I was vetoed by the hubby though.

~Heather

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats pretty cool. Nice photes bloodhounds are like a large basset as you can see. They also have the same face.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts