Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have over fed Grant tonight because his stomach looks larger than normal. I think he is bloated. He acts fine, but I was just worried that it might be something really serious. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agnes went through bloat this summer. The main clue was that she was retching and nothing came up except bile. Her stomach didn't start bloating until we were in the car on the way to the vet. If you are concerned, the best thing you can do is to go to the ER right away. It is far better to spend the ER fee on nothing (in my case, it would have been $75) than to lose your baby to this terrible disease. I hope it's not bloat. It is not survivable if it isn't caught early. Please let us know how this turns out, I am very worried about Grant.

Melynda, Agnes's Momslave

A

·
0 Posts
my understanding is that they will try to vomit, belch etc and have resp. distress. I agree w/ melynda call your vet if you are worried because the way i understand it, it is a sudden thing hope he is ok

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he acted like he wanted to throw up earlier. Then he was using the bathroom and seemed somewhat constipated. He is sleeping right now.

[ January 19, 2006, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: stratkidp38 ]

A

·
0 Posts
YOu should keep an eye on him and if he shows any signs of distress get to a vet quickly. If he starts to try and vomit, if his sides begin to swell, if he rushes from one corner to another or goes in circles and is too uncomfortable to lie down, don't wait, go. Four years ago Opus had bloat on the day we picked him up from kennels and despite us rushing to the vets he had full and complete torsion by the time we reached them. The surgery was two hours and we were lucky that he survived. It is never a good idea to over feed deep chested dogs or exercise them just after feeding as they are very prone to bloating. It is better to give your dog three smaller meals a day than one large one.
I hope your dog is fine, keep us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I didn't feed him that much last night. I gave him 3 small meals yesterday. I called the ER last night, and they said it is probably just worms since he is just a pup. They didn't seem all that worried. This morning he is fine. His sides aren't as big as they were last night. He took a few big poops last night so that might have helped.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is a good idea to feed several small meals a day rather than one big one. But the thing about bloat is, it can happen to any basset at any time. There are often similar factors such as it usually happens at night, it can happen if the dog is stressed, but there's often no rhyme or reason about it, it just sometimes happens. The big things to watch our for, as several of us mentioned, is the repeated retching/vomiting bringing up nothing, bile, or foam, pacing, and abdominal swelling. But if you are ever even the slightest bit sure it's bloat, jump in your car and race to the vet immediately, even if it's 2 AM. I'm so happy Grant's OK!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE HIM TO THE VET.... We just lost of Dubya a week ago today to that very thing. He was just 14 months old. I didn't know anything about bloat and learned the hard way. Please take him AND let us know how your baby is doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts