Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
So pleased that you caught him in time. Thanks so much for sharing that info on here as I think most of us are a bit neurotic about this condition. Like Barbara I too have rushed Toby to the vet several times thinking it was bloat because he has coughed and heaved and just been a bit restless. She has given me the usual advice about no exercise after eating etc. She did mention the last time however that in her experience, bloat is more common in spells of really hot weather. Maybe just coincidence. Hope Speedy stays well and enjoys the Nationals. :)

ETA Keep reading that the dog's stomach swells,could someone tell me where exactly that is on a dog?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I also read somewhere that bloat isn't as common amongst dog's that are fed wet food. Would love to find statistics on this. I changed kibble because I read not to add water to dried food that uses citric acid (vitC) as a preservative, as this causes gas. I soak Toby's food first and then add some wet. It doesn't turn mushy however, but more a spongy texture.(as if it's glued together.) I'm not sure that I like feeding him kibble (even the high grade ones) at all. I used to make his food and he done really well on it (vet's recipe) but have found that since changing over,he eats a lot more grass a thing he hardly ever done before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.