Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post this so some of the newbies to Bassets can be aware of this. Yesterday my Speedy (10yrs) bloated. He seemed normal at 6AM when he got up. Had his breakfast went for his daily constitutional (slowly)around the yard came in and fell asleep in the laundry pile. By 7:30 he was making the strangest noises with his mouth like smacking his lips. I asked him if he wanted water and he refused and went to the door. He went out and ate grass like a crazy man. I thought good he'll throw up and then feel better. I left him to his grazing and kind of kept half an eye on him. It looked like he was vomiting so good all will be well. When I went outside with him I realized he hadn't thrown up at all but was having the dry heaves. I looked at him and OMG his abdomen was distended. Into the van he went and off to the emergency clinic. They x-rayed him and sure enough it was bloat but he hadn't twisted yet so the tubed him to release the gas and they got some of the stuff out of his stomach. He stayed the day and came home last night. I have to split his two meals into three for a few days and the vet said he can go to Nationals with us. I would of stayed home if I had to but I'm happy we can go. He's not entered in anything. He just comes for the ride.
Bassets are listed as one of the breed prone to bloat. We however follow the guidelines of smaller meals no heavy exercise before or after eating etc; but had problems anyway. No one knows why sometimes it just happens. We lost our first Basset to bloat so I didn't take any chances. We are glad it had a happy ending.
We are off to Nationals tomorrow as long as Speedy shows no problems.

Karen

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, Barbara they didn't recommend a gatropexy. He also told me to just go ahead and feed him his regular food just in smaller meals for a few days. They did do bloodwork to make sure there were no underlying problems making the bloat secondary. His bloodwork came back remarkable so they didn't feel there was anything else going on. This was the emergency clinic I went to but next time I go to my own vet I'll discuss things with him. I just couldn't wait for my own vet to open. I know the emergency clinics are good to have but it just makes it so our own vet isn't on call anymore. I'm just glad I still have him. He's the sweetest!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everyone's concern about Speedy. We got home from Nationals yesterday and Speedy enjoyed his week at the hotel. No one would of ever guessed that just a week ago he could of been dead. He was happy and ate well and enjoyed walking around the grounds. Believe me, we will keep an eye on him. There are many conflicting articles about bloat. I'm not sure that anyone really knows the real deal. I'm following the regular guidelines like I have been doing but with a watchful eye.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.