Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any current bloat studies being done?[/b]
I don' t know, but check the web sites for the Morris Animal Foundation and for the American Kennel Club Health Foundation.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I know this is an old topic, but as a friend's dog had to have an operation for bloat and had never heard of it before, I thought I'd resurrect the bloat topic for new Basset owners as I saw a discussion about it on a Basset owner's blog... bloat is a horrible thing for a dog to have as I saw it first hand several years ago and have been so careful with feeding/exercising ever since!

BassetHoundTown Blog/Vlog BLOAT (Gastric Torsion) – Links and research provided

This stops greedy Bassets from bolting their food as one of mine does and then tries to move in on the others' food!

http://www.brake-fast.net/ . . . https://www.brake-fast.net/store/home.php

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought the Brake Fast bowl for Rusty. It slowly him down alittle, not much. Also the Vet suggested I stop feeding him from a plastic bowl. It aggravates his Lip Fold Pyoderma.

·
Registered
297 Posts
We also feed our dogs their food with water in it so as to keep them from drinking water after and causing the expansion issue. It's such a scary thing and I never ever want to experience it again.

I wonder however if there is any evidence of it running in any lines or anything. Would be an interesting thing to do a study on.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any current bloat studies being done?
Univeristy of Perdue is not curently doing any bloat studies

We also feed our dogs their food with water in it so as to keep them from drinking water after and causing the expansion issue.
Studies find that soaking food niether increased nor decreased incidents of bloat, execpt that soaking food that used vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as a preserative dramatical increase risk of bloat, Exercise before or after feeding which also had no effect , raising the food bowl increased risk in large breed dogs.

I wonder however if there is any evidence of it running in any lines or anything
Study found a strong genetic link but it might not be that simple as conformation plays an important factor and my account for the entire genetic factor, That is Deeper,Narrower (chest depth to width ratio) chested dogs are more prone to bloat. as are older dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts