Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we were working out in the yard all day taking down trees damaged in last weeks storm. It was cold so the dogs alternated between being out with us and napping on the couch. On one of my trips inside for something I found a two-pound bag of jerky-chicken pieces on the floor :eek: with Tally suspiciously nearby. I keep the treats on a shelf that is conceivably within Moe's reach but in the several years I've used this shelf he has not attempted to reach them... until today. It had to be him - for obvious reasons - Tally is quite a bit shorter than he is. The really alarming thing is that one time she almost choked to death on a piece of chicken jerky. It lodged in her throat and I had to reach into her mouth and remove it - It was wedged in really tight. She had burst blood vessels in her eyes so they were bloody-red for a week. It was frightening. So she is not allowed much more than the tiniest morsel of chicken when Moe gets his, and only under my supervision. Imagine my alarm when I saw HER near the open bag on the floor. :eek: (Moe was innocently snoozing on the couch.) I have no idea how much she ate. I am very certain she ate quite a bit because she wouldn't eat her dinner tonight (Tally ALWAYS eats her food... and Moe's, and Pussywillow's if she can get away with it). Her belly seems distended but she is in no distress. Aside from not eating she is acting perfectly normal so far. She just hopped up onto the couch and is lying in her normal relaxed position (sprawled on her back). My husband says she looks more like someone after a Thanksgiving pig-out than a sick dog. :rolleyes: They got into the treats around three this afternoon.

MY question is: how long after eating will a dog show symptoms of bloat??? Do I still need to be concerned or worried almost six hours later? Should I take her to bed with us so I can monitor her all night?

I am not buying these treats any more, even though Moe loves them more than greenies. It may take some time but he'll get over it...

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
You'd know if it were bloat.

I just went through bloat with Lady. In Lady's case, I don't know if the stomach didn't distend for a long time OR if I noticed everything but her stomach. But she was in distress before I discovered her stomach, and it looked to me like her distress was from her dysplasia and (possible) degenerative myelopathy.

In addition, I'm not sure eating alone causes bloat. From what I understand, genetics play a big part, and big dogs with big chests (like German Shepherds) are at higher risk than smaller dogs.

And, in Lady's case, the vet said the bloat was secondary to a disease process. She was really ailing, so much so that I had actually talked to the vet a week earlier about putting her down. :( And I've met a couple of other people now whose elderly and ailing dogs got bloat. All I can figure is that their stomachs stop working or really slow down maybe?

So, six hours later, no distress - can you hear stomach noises? I think you're okay.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I agree that since that much time has pasted she is probably okay. My German Shepherd (ATB) almost bloated twice :eek: Both times he has just finished eating a meal and I let him out in the yard to pee. The dog next dog (a Yorkie) who he hated :angry: came out in his yard at the same exact time. He always came out barking his silly head off. My dog went crazy running up and down the fence line growling and snarling at him. Both times he just collapsed and laid down like someone shot him. The first time, I didn't know what to think. I had never heard of bloat. The Vet told me to immediately give him 2 Gas X and bring him in 10 minutes if he didn't get any relief. Thank God he did. The second time, same senario, same result. I now know, if I have any idea my kids have any GI distress, they get a Gas X ASAP! Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yes. I now stock Gas-X.

Terry, if you're uncertain, feel her stomach to see if it feels like - well, like a normal stomach. But my bet is, if she isn't showing distress, it's not bloat.

I can't believe you went through it twice, Maggie Mae. :blink:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I feel somewhat better. Tally is going through her normal routine, alternating between her dogbed and the couch. She is drinking normaly, too. I'll let her sleep with us tonight just to make myself feel better.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How is Tally doing today?

We went through bloat with our lab about 2 years ago. We caught it early, but he still went through some very serious complications as a result. After the surgery, he had to be transferred to another facility with an ICU to treat and monitor his heart which was also affected.

It's probably too late to go through the early symptoms of bloat, but for anyone not familiar with it, you should do a search and learn what those symptoms are. With our lab, they came on very quickly, and fortunately, I had read up on bloat and knew exactly what was happening. I hate to hear of any dog having to go through this. :(

Terry please keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night we kept Tally with us. Around two thirty in the morning she woke me up and wanted to go out. She peed and poo'd and went back to bed. This morning she seemd perfectly fine and her distended belly seemed less obvious. This afternoon we went out to get some groceries and I came home to find my glass covered cake dish knocked onto the floor <_< (it used to share the same shelf as the chicken-jerky until I moved the treats to the top shelf). I guess Tally persuaded Moe to try to get the bag again - of course Moe never would have thought of doing such a thing on his own ;) - but because I moved the bag higher he couldn't reach it this time. Thankfully, my cake plate didn't break and it didn't seem to have fallen on either Moe or Tally. Only three treats left and once they are gone that's all she wrote. I won't buy them again after this scare. Thank you for your quick replies and your concern. :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm so glad Tally seems OK. After two surgeries from swallowing rocks anything with the tummy scares us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts