Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've seen a new plastic dog bowl that is supposed to slow the dog's eating down and prevent bloat. I'm wondering--first, is there really evidence that eating fast is related to bloat, or not? Second, does any one have experience with these bowls? I can see my two dumping them over to get at the food, if the bowl got in their way. If you haven't seen it, it has big columns in the basin of the bowl--I guess they prevent the hounds from sticking their heads in the bowl and inhaling the contents in 30 seconds (a slow night for my two).

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
Hi all,

I've seen a new plastic dog bowl that is supposed to slow the dog's eating down and prevent bloat. I'm wondering--first, is there really evidence that eating fast is related to bloat, or not? Second, does any one have experience with these bowls? I can see my two dumping them over to get at the food, if the bowl got in their way. If you haven't seen it, it has big columns in the basin of the bowl--I guess they prevent the hounds from sticking their heads in the bowl and inhaling the contents in 30 seconds (a slow night for my two).[/b]
Non-dietary risk factors for gastric dilatation-volvulus in large and giant breed dogs by Lawrence T. Glickman, VMD, DrPH; Nita W. Glickman, MS, MPH; Diana B. Schellenberg, MS;
Malathi Raghavan, DVM, MS; Tana Lee, BA

Summary of findings (references 1 & 2) -A 5-year prospective study was conducted to determine the incidence and non-dietary risk factors for gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV) in 11 large- and giant-breed dogs and to assess current recommendations to prevent GDV...
15% increase in risk for each unit increase in speed of eating score for large dogs[/b]
I would avoid plastic as a food bowl, They are harder to clean and sterilize an are associated with dermatitis
http://www.vetinfo.com/ddepigmt.html" target="_blank"> Ask Dr Mike</a>
"some dogs are reported to be sensitive to the plastic that is found in some feeding bowls, for instance] some dogs are reported to be sensitive to the plastic that is found in some feeding bowls, for instance"

FDA Consumer magazine" Jeffers occasionally sees dogs in his clinic with "plastic dish dermatitis," an irritation to the skin on the nose caused by a reaction to an antioxidant found in a plastic food or water dish."

If you want to dramatically slow down the speed the dog eats add something sticky with the kibble. Peanut butter would work but is high if fat and might tend to so the nutritional balance awry when compensating for the additional calories. For use canned pumpkin low in calories high in fiber and a decided stickiness factor in the food bowl.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bianca would eat so fast and then throw up. I've found that putting a little ceramic flower pot (upside down) in her dish (stainless steel) solves the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts