Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spent the whole day making our storm preparations. The air is calm and the day was fairly nice for February. Moe and Tally happily followed us about the yard as we took in firewood, gathered kindling, tied things that needed tying, and made room in the garage for four cars. Now Moe is dozing by the woodstove and Tally is snoozing underneath a couch pillow (it's a Terrier thing :( Oh well, at least Moe likes snow...

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
Terry, I share your pain. Actually, you guys and the Cape are supposed to be harder hit than Boston.
I've never liked the stuff but it's gotten worse since His Majesty lost his sight. The snow obscures all the smell landmarks he uses to find his way around the yard and park and even though I shovel mutiple paths through the backyard he's too insecure to go out without me...( I usually let him out and watch from the door)
It was a beautiful day so we did the park trails twice because they don't plough or clean them up which means we won't be able to walk there for a while. Well, next Friday it's supposed to be near 50. WooHoo!!! :D

[ February 11, 2006, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Milissa, you can have ours... come and get it! :D

Poor Francis! I hope for his sake that our warm temps return and make short work of whatever, if anything, comes our way.

Still waiting,
Terry :p

·
Registered
163 Posts
Other than the drought conditions, we are having typical Colorado weather. Cold and snow Friday (1" of dry powder, blew away by noon), but by Monday & Tuesday, 58 is expected for a high. That will change Wednesday, snow again and in the 30's.
We have a saying around here, "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes."

C

·
0 Posts
We are getting slammed here in CT...Louie was crying to go out this morning, Michael, my husband had to go shovel a path for him...we have more than 12 inches at this point!!

Now Louie is chomping on all the kindling wood I brought in last night, incase we lose power and heat we can have a fire in the fireplace!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's snowing pretty heavy here now, and the wind is howling. Moe's been out twice already, galloping around and pouncing on nothing. :) He's oblivious to bad weather and actually loves the snow. In between trips outside he roasts by the woodstove or lays across my lap. It'll be a lazy day of movies, homemade soup, and perhaps a nap. Moe loves getting a boost up onto my bed for a nap. :D

Terry

A

·
0 Posts
Now it's Sunday morning and already I can't get out my front door. The northeast winds pile all the drifted snow right up against it.
I tried to get Franny out the back door but he's afraid of the many steps. So we came back in so I could get dressed correctly and go out with him, leading him down the steps while I hold tightly to his halter. While I was getting dressed the little darling let go and peed on the floor. I made my voice stern but I couldn't blame him too much
We went out again and after only 5 minutes we looked like snow sculptures. I'm now drinking a cup of coffee and getting ready to do my statistics homework. Good day to snuggle up on the couch with a warm and velvety basset and an action packed statistics text :roll:

[ February 12, 2006, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

A

·
0 Posts
Our yard wasn't fenced in MA (bizarre side yard) so we ALWAYS had ot get geared up and go out with Ruby. I feel for all of you but we don't miss the getting up at 4 a.m. to use the show thrower in our big driveway either. You know, we moved away from that area because of the weather.

Enjoy the beauty of it though after the storm.

A

·
0 Posts
Well, Linda, most basset owners are pretty bright. Not Franny's owner, though. I can't see the tree about 10 feet away from my window. There are blizzard conditions going on

·
Registered
181 Posts
Being from Texas, currently DRY and having only had snow here a few times, never a blizzard, could we have pictures, please!!!!
I have been in snow a few times while out of state and since I don't live with it have always enjoyed it. I love seeing everyone's winter.

Edited to say I don't mean to trivialize the conditions and hope you are all safe and warm curled up with a basset.

[ February 12, 2006, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Oliver Twist ]

·
Registered
87 Posts
We're getting hammered here in western mass too. Jack and Maggie go out back to do their business, then scramble back in pinballing off each other in the doorway. Otherwise they're perfectly happy because I'm snowbound home all day!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not so bad here in northwest New Jersey. We only had about 5-6 inches.

Here's Harley Chick:

Sorry it's such a huge picture.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a new snowmobile this year, so do you think we could get snow up here in Maine? Heck no. Right now its supposed to be snowing really hard. Boston and New York got record snow fall, we will be lucky to get 5 inches...not enough to ride on.

Words cannot say how much I hate this winter.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The storm has passed. Luckily, for most of the day we seemed to be sandwiched right between two heavier bands of snow, leaving us with light to moderate snowfall all day. We got about nine inches of snow which my husband has already cleared from the driveway with our new snowblower. :D He also used it to make dog-paths all over the yard. Moe's a trail-blazer but Tally NEEDS paths or she won't leave the porch to pee. I have to admit that it feels pretty good to have all the snow chores done and not to have an aching back. :D

Now that we've got a good storm over and done with, can we PLEASE get back to the warmer-than-normal winter we've been so happily enjoying so far? :cool:

Terry

·
Registered
173 Posts

You should see these at full size. That's about a foot of snow Sally's plowing through in the second picture. In the first she's jumping for snow. Poor Charlie is in the background, almost too scared/cold to pee.

A

·
0 Posts
Thank God it's over. We got about 18 inches of snow but because I live on a main drag everytime I get my driveway shovelled out, the stupid plows just block me in again.
I've shovelled three poopie paths and I poured a little beef broth along the walkways to the poopie paths so Francis can scent them out without too much difficulty. He still did his business on the walkway while I was shovelling so it will take a while until he has it figured out :roll: I'm just glad that during his first winter as a blind dog we haven't had much snow at all and that it's remained pretty mild!!

[ February 13, 2006, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts