Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Annie on our long walk at lunch as usual. She has a bad habit of peeing in the road, but I noticed she was squating and nothing or just a little dribble was coming out. We proceeded on our walk and she stopped frequently to try and pee, with little output. She also is still in heat and bleeding, which started 9/21. I called the vet and the tech related she would be worried about pyometra so I took her in. The vet checked her urine and said she definitely had red and white cells in it and felt it was a bladder infection as clinically Annie looked well and bright. So she gave me a prescription for Keflex and sent us home without labs etc. After I got Annie back in the car I could tell she was going to vomit so I helped her back outside and she did vomit. Went back in to let the vet know, and she felt it was probably just the car ride or the excitement of the trip? She seems to be acting OK other than increased squatting and little dribbles. Has anyone had a dog with a bladder infection or Pyometra with these symptoms? Crossing fingers this quickly passes :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
Has anyone had a dog with a bladder infection or Pyometra with these symptoms?
I have zero experience with pyometra, having always had spayed females. UTI's sure are popular around here though. It is our boy, Larsen, who is currently being treated for one. I noticed he was doing a lot more peeing than usual, sometimes just striking his "pee pose" without much coming out but little squirts of blood-tinged urine. Like Annie, he also vommitted, which did concern the vet a bit, so we had bloodwork/urinalysis/x-rays done the other day. It is indeed just a UTI.

Hope Annie is better soon!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Get well soon Annie!!! - Henry has a habit of having to have his winkie washed with special blue liquid from the vets as his gets gunky so we regularly have a winkie washing session!!! [did i actually sare that with everyone lol!]

·
Registered
972 Posts
haha winky! my husband cracked me up cuz he calls it a Wee *LOL* anyway, whatever you call it, if it gets gunky you gotta do what you gotta do! I always take a baby wipe to bowsers after each pee. He always checks to make sure i've left it there when i'm done, and if i wipe his butt too he turns around and checks that too. Always has this look on his face like "Hm? oh good it's still there mama".

Get well soon Annie!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worrying about my girl, I really don't think she is emptying her bladder. I have taken her out a few times tonight. On her first squat she does a small stream then it stops and she just keeps trying and nothing is coming out. I gently felt her stomach just before feeding her at bedtime and she acts like it hurts, no groaning but she curls her tail to the side and her vulva kinda goes into spasm. I plan on calling the vet in the morning (7 hrs) I think she needs to go back. Worried she is going to get a kidney infection or renal failure if everything is backing up. @ Mikey, no she is not spayed and she is still bleeding in heat, which started 9/21.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A visit to the Vet is in order asap! Stickers had repeated UTI's last year. The final one she would pee full bladder, then squat, squat, squat. Turns out she had 38 bladder stones!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the vet called me back and she thinks we should wait another 24 hours to let the antibiotic work. I am really concerned as although Annie is eating and drinking OK, I have been catching her urine since this morning (I know that sounds weird I can't help it I'm in medicine and I am analytical.....that's how I roll :rolleyes:). She has only peed about 30 cc and it is tea colored unlike her sample I took yesterday which was light yellow, despite adequate oral intake. If I stroke her belly she is still doing that tail to the side thing and I have seen her licking her belly today. Annie went on her walk for me but she is walking much slower than usual. Something is not right. I was hoping for bloodwork or an xray to be done, just worried to let this run on another 24 hours. Seems like this stuff always happens on a weekend (an exceptionally beautiful one at that!):(

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems Annie is having.

The only time I can remember that we had a problem with Flash or Lucy going potty was when we came home to find they got into a large box of “milk duds” – it was a reaction of the chocolate – they couldn’t go potty – it would come in little drips and drabs. Is there any chance they could have gotten into anything?

I hope you get answers fast so she can start feeling better.

Jen~

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to update everyone on Annie.......she went back to the vet on Monday and labs/xrays were ok. He changed her antibiotic to Cipro which she has been taking fine in some cheese :) Definitely peeing better seems to be emptying and not squatting as much. Supposed to repeat urine when done with antibiotic. As for the tail to the side thing, the doc said she was probably HORNY from being in heat, OMG I about died when he said that, definitely was a bit red-faced for sure after asking that question LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had two females that had pyometra. They both had to have surgery (cost over $1,000 ea. for the surgery) as antibiotics alone would not cure the problem. There were no signs that either of the dogs had the condition until it had gotten serious. My male was neutered but my two females were not...since my male was fixed I didn't see why I needed to fix the females...now I do. The first one got it when she was 8 and the other was around 6. This ended up costing thousands of dollars and the 8 year old dog almost died after the surgery.

My male (the dog who is neutered) is 11 years old and had a bladder infection. He was on Cephalexin for about 10 days and it the infection returned. Waited again for about 3 weeks and was put on Cephalexin again for 2 1/2 weeks and infection went away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts