Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You may find one but in general and for sure, my dark tricolours started off black and white, but in general, you 'll find most will develop some tan, usually on the head with a small amount elsewhere as adults. Shown here is one of our boys as a youngster. His mother had the same colouring.

File0002.jpg

Here is a link to a boy who we used some years ago (back of the boy above) and he's about as 'black and white' as you may find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check out harmony farms. this breeder took a looonnng time to get only black and white
without tan. she actually asked me if I was a breeder because she did not want
her b/w's to be bred. this was her domain! told no I am just a secretary interested
in black and white. I had adopted two of them, black and white only, through Carolina
basset hound rescue when I was fostering (a total of 80 bassets all together).
but now I can not find an adult basset with b/w only. had not realized how rare
they are. and I wonder, back 20 years or so, the owners who took these two
b/w males to a kill shelter knew their value? probably not. probably back then
they did not cost $1,000 and $2,000.
and you are right. the puppies look b/w but they develop the tan somewhere on their
face!
I just wish I could connect with a breeder who has developed the technique for
a b/w only. I only know about harmony farms and she is not going to breed again
for 12-24 months.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I know nothing abouit 'Harmony Farms', but I'd be very careful re high prices being asked for so-called 'rare' colours. This is generally just a scam BYBs use to extract more money from an unsuspecting buyer. It's far better to stick to the traditional hound colour combinations - all too often 'rare' colours come with associated health problems which is why the various Breed Standards were carefully drawn up in the first place. As pictured, you will find tricolour Bassets with minimal tan on them. Surely there are enough colour pattern variations in our wonderful breed, without trying to breed out one (tan)?

Add - There are/were? two kennels in America breeding pretty much black and white hounds, Fort Merrill and Halcyon although even they had some tan on their heads etc. You should be able to pick up those bloodlines in more recent hounds?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts