Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
b & W is not a basset color Red and white or Tri color are only options, some very open (lots of white) tris may appear b & W because the areas are white but it is still a tri color. and likely have brown hairs somewhere. Basset Hound Coat Color DNA Study

Tricolor, Black Tri, Black & White
These three color terms all refer to patterns caused by the at allele of ASIP. This allele produces a pattern of black pigment over the body of the dog, with tan colored points on the legs, cheeks, eyebrows, chest, and beneath the tail. Note that white markings can obscure tan points. Ticking on white patches will indicate if the underlaying region has black or red pigment.

Black Tri and Black & White are the same pattern, though the two names are often used interchangeably within the breed. Genetically, we would classify both of these patterns as "black-and-tan".

Marvin (below left) and Elwood (below right) are both black-and-tan Basset Hounds. They are both at/at at ASIP. Note that Elwood also has piebald white spotting which obscures most of the pigment on his body. You can still distinguish the tan points on the legs by the red color of the ticking. His melanistic mask is also minimized by the white on his face{/quote]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not true about pure black and white. I fostered through Carolina basset hound rescue for 23 years,
having fostered 80 basset hounds. two I adopted were pure black and white with no
brown eye brows. they are rare. I know only about harmony farms in Georgia that has
perfected this color scheme. she will not breed again until 12 or 24 months from now.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
not true about pure black and white. I fostered through Carolina basset hound rescue for 23 years,
having fostered 80 basset hounds. two I adopted were pure black and white with no
brown eye brows. they are rare. I know only about harmony farms in Georgia that has
perfected this color scheme. she will not breed again until 12 or 24 months from now.
lol talking genetic there is no B&W basset hounds they are all tri. whether the brown is expressed or covered up by white

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a black and white Basset. However, when he is in the sun his head looks like a deep brown. He is just beautiful. He was sold as a black and white.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts