Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
The Hound is re-acting in fear from what he perceives as a threat.
I have seen that before from new moms and we always made sure they heard our voices before disturbing them, that worked for us.[/b]
I would not make that assumption. It may or not may be the case. Many resourse guarders and other dogs are touch sensitive, Jean Donaldson in MINE! A GUIDE TO RESOURCE GUARDING IN DOGS lay out a step by step process to contercondition touch sensitivity. From a Review of the book by Kate Connick
Anal retentive to a fault (and I mean that as a compliment in this context), Donaldson does an excellent job of breaking down forms of resource guarding behavior into detailed, progressive increments. In order to teach a dog to accept having its mouth opened, for example, she lists 60 separate steps - beginning with touching the dog's rump for a single second. It takes 27 steps before one even touches the dog's head.

Clearly, this is not a book for someone who wants a quick fix to their problem. It requires a food-motivated dog and an extremely dedicated and talented owner with the patience and perseverance to apply the technique. [/url]

THe problem here is clearly the dog has no bite inhibition. Unfortunately it is not something dogs can usually be taught later on in life. That means if the dog is put in situations in which it feels it is necessary to defend itself. It will Bite and it will bite in an injurious manner. That makes the dog dangerious. You must realize this in all situations with the dog, Personnally I would avoid any contact with childern even supervised because both the dog and kids are unpredictable. This goes the same stranger etc. When friends or guest are over you need a secure location like a crate for Him.

The first step in solving the problem is preventing in the first place, Because the behavior is self rewarding. In a word biting works.

Any one can speculate all they want on the cause of the problem but without actualing seeong the dog in is at best a shot in the dark. Consult with a professional that can observe the dog and its reaction to the suroundings, and can formulate a plan to reduce the risk. That said given the bite history of the dog, There will always be some risk and you need to manage that as well it it can be rather burdensome at time.

Not that you are plan this but euthanasia is not the worst alternative. With the litgious world we live in, trying to rehome a dog that is a known biter is a lawsuit waiting to happen even if you do make full disclosure. There are some dogs that just will not be able to over come their past. It does not make you a bad person, trainer, owner if in the end it is the best option.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.