Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ahh to get a puppy to stop biting...the eternal question. I think it's a natural part of their growing, but they need to learn how hard they can bite. I don't encourage biting, but when it happens and it's too hard, I give a sharp "ouch" and pull my hand away. The playing stops until the puppy has time to calm. If they are real bitey, I give mine a toy or something that is ok to play rougher with. Molly is 9 months and her biting got better after teething was over. Winston (9 weeks) is in the pre-teething stage and he just needs to learn what is acceptable. The breeder told me that their mom did a lot of mouthing until she was about a year. With persistence, it gets better.

That's just my experience...others will probably be more helpful.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
just wandering how to get my basset puppy to stop biting:confused:
biting/nipping is something the dog outgrows If you do nothing it will stop eventually however you really do not want to teach the puppy not to mouth. What you want to teach the puppy is to have a soft mouth. That is when it does bite it does not bite hard i.e. bite inhibition. The reason this is important is given the right circumstance there is not a dog in this world that will not bite.. So it is important to teach the dog when it does bite to do so softly. The other reason it is important to teach this to a puppy is because once the get older it gets impossible to teach this skill. it need to be taugh as a puppy.

also keep in mind bite inhibition is gereral taught by littermates so puppy kindergarten, and play groups are anouther excellent resource in teach bite inhibition.

see Bite Inhibition How to Teach it

Teaching Bite Inhibition

Please read this section extremely carefully. I shall repeat over and over: teaching bite inhibition is the most important aspect of your puppy's entire education.
Certainly puppy biting behavior must eventually be eliminated. We cannot have an adult dog playfully mauling family, friends, and strangers in the manner of a young puppy. However, it is essential that this be done gradually and progressively via a systematic two-step process: first, to inhibit the force of puppy bites and second, to lessen the frequency of puppy mouthing.
Ideally, the two phases should be taught in sequence, but with more active puppy biters you may wish to work on both stages at the same time. In either case, you must teach your puppy to bite or mouth gently before puppy biting behavior is eliminated altogether

Puppy Biting -More Than Bad Manners by Ian Dunbar PhD, MSVC

Teaching Bite Inhibition For Dogs
Have you ever watched how puppies play with each other while they're still with their littermates? They love to bite each other, often on the face. If one puppy bites another puppy too hard, the "victim" will yelp and run away to play with a different pup. In essence, the biter gets a time-out for applying too much pressure with those needle-sharp puppy teeth. If he makes this mistake a few times, then he learns that biting too hard while playing makes his buddies run away from him. Little by little each puppy learns to bite with less pressure to keep his playmates from putting him into isolation.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
on thing of note you want to institute bite inhibition training in a calm cold calculation manner. ie objectively not emotionally. That is you must remain caln not get excite or move qoickly and sundenly. This are signal just the oposite of what you are trying to convey to the dog and is often intrepred as you were just kidding and really want to play rough. so don;t push the dog away. scream like a banishe but remain in place to play with the dog. thy and hold its mouth shut etc. thes are often interpreted as cues for that it can paly even rougher. Basical speaking everthy that comes natural to a four - nine year old to do when a puppie nips and bites just encourage the puppy to bite more which is one reason that nipping is general more of a problem with kid than in household without. not because the dogs are any better but the behavior of most kids tend to encourage biting and nipping not discourage it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts