Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since Duke's not doing so good, I have spent all day reading about Blastomycosis on the internet. Looking for some hope, but the more I read, the worse it gets!

I just read on a vet's site, that birds are carriers, and can get it as well. He said to keep bird feeders clean, and to clean each day under the feeders. (Maybe that's how Duke got it)It can also be carried in old manure (or fresh) so watch when you furtilize this summer. And if your dog developes a cough, get him to a vet and ask that he be tested for this. If it's caught early it's not that serious.

I know someone posted awhile back about bird feeders, not sure if it was related to anything like blasto or not, but please just be aware. I am on an emotional rollercoaster right now. From what I've read, this stuff Duke is on will cure or kill him.

He's just laying on the couch, trembling on and off. I have him covered. I just hand fed him a half a cookie. I also played with Bo tonight, and Duke raised his head up when Bo chased the ball down the hall. I told Duke to just rest...he can chase the ball when he's better. He just went back to sleep. It's so sad.

Note: not that I'm thinking along these lines yet, but If a dog dies from this, they can't be buried, as the soil will be infected. they must be cremated.

Sandy

T

·
0 Posts
Oh, Sandy. I'm so sorry this is happening to you and Duke. You're making me really glad I stopped letting my husband feed the birds after we got Twinkie. It wasn't really any fear of what the bird seed would do to the dog, I hated how it caused weeds to sprout in my flower garden. Of course, now I know better. The post about bird seed a few weeks back was regarding how the fungus, atafloxin (which contaminated the corn in Diamond dog foods), can also be found in bird seed. I'm really praying that Duke can recover from this. Hugs to you both.

Janet 'n Twinkie

C

·
0 Posts
After just losing my father to CJD (human version of Mad Cow Disease) I am not surprised by any of these random odd bugs around!

Saying some prayers for Duke. Hugs to you! (((hug)))

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Jake picked up another odd bug- a spirochete from bird poop as a pup. He was quite sick with vomiting and diarrhea- But the antibiotic worked... and now I won't put dog food in bowls outside just in case.

·
Registered
987 Posts
thank you so much for sharing at a time like this. It will help us all be more aware.
Please hang in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts