Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't think anyone assumes you plan on getting rid of the guy- We know you love him... and all agree sometimes they do try our patience! I agree on calling the trainer and just see what happens- She may not even be upset at all. You may need to resort to crate training on the potty issues and just give a refresher course- tough love :( There are some good links here in the FAQs box. We have a wild child ourselves and thankfully due to advice here, can now take him on walks without mommy wanting to shed tears. It is a lot of consistency and with basically 2 toddlers (puppy and child) you do have your hands full. Minus does need some space away- ie a crate or penned area - kind of like a safe area for a child- where he can have toys and his "stuff"- I try not to use it as a time out for punishment- but rather a quiet time with treats and special toys- Ours is in the kitchen area. I strongly recommend a kong (and have been using a bit of canned dog food and freezing it)- This keeps Jake amused longer than an hour- he's 2 and likes to be entertained. It's very hard to be firm but you may have to use your "mommy" voice on him. You may want to consider hiring a teenager in the neighborhood to take him on a long walk several times a week - or if you feel up to it load your child in a stroller and take him and Minus out for a jaunt at a park. I would practice first with Minus alone on a leash if he's not been out much lately. Jake had Spring fever and had decided to challenge every dog in the neighborhood. I had to get a shorter lead and harness and now he is fine. I know others here have worked through the nipping issues with a trainer but may have other advice to share. Best of luck and give him lots of ear scunchies from me- Wendy

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.