Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had little skuffles between Dozer & Digger before, but never like this. Last night when they got their treats, everything was like normal. They growled while trying to keep each other from their treats.
Then I could hear the biggest fight I ever heard before. I had to go break it up, and they still wouldn't stop. I finally got them seperated, but they were still growling at each other. I've never seen their hair stand up on their backs like that before. They were still a little grumpy this morning. I thought it was going to start up again, but I put a stop to that. I think they were just cranky from the injuries from the night before.

Dozer had several bite marks on his ears and his neck was a little sore. He was a lot better this morning. Digger was a little worse off. He was limping pretty bad after the fight, and was still limping slighty this morning (I had to help him off the bed). He was better later in the morning after he walked on it for a while. They're both fine now.

Dudley was mentally hurt. He didn't know what do during the fight, he just ran in circles & whimpered. I thought he was going to pee on the floor. I think he realized he won't be ruling the roost for a while.

Right now they're running & playing outside, like nothing happened. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning and Stomps had a few knock down/dragouts. Lightning has always been happy to let Stomps be the king, but for some reason Stomps had to push the issue, especially if he was tired and/or stressed and if food was involved. It got to the point where they had to be fed with a closed door separating them. I hardly ever gave them treats since Stomps would hide his, and Lightning would gulp his down and go after Stomps' treat, which could cause another dustup. Because Stomps would get so possessive of me, I couldn't let him sit with me (until he was diagnosed with his heart problem, after which I let him do anything he wanted, which is probably how he hurt his back... :( ). And I never let them sleep with me, which I know would have caused problems. After all that, they rarely if ever had another fight. I hope Dozer and Digger shake paws and make up. They're so cute together it's hard to believe they'd ever even argue, let alone fight.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Silly houndies - playing together is much more fun than fighting. I've had a couple of no-holds barred fights over the years, but luckily they are few and far between with no major damage. They look and sound terrible, though.

Hope things are back to normal

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What a bummer that they had a bad fight. My 2 haven't gone all out but we've had some growls and snaps here and there because Lily is very pushy and Gibbs for the most part wants to be left alone. My husband's cousin has American Bulldogs...I think that's what they are...anyway they had a HUGE fight a few months ago that required 2 out of the 3 dogs to go to the hospital for lots of stitches and tubes, now they have to crate them when they're gone for fear that it may happen again...Glad your boys seem to be getting along after their scuffle.

~Heather

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well -- this needs to be stopped before someone really gets hurt. Bassets are cute, but they're pack animals, there is hierarchy in every pack, and this is the way it's established.

To start with, ground everybody. YOU are top dog. The fact that the boys wouldn't stop fighting when you told them to speaks volumes -- you must assert your authority. Now. So -- no furniture priviledges. At all. No treats without a sit, and then under strict supervision. A lifted lip, a quiet grumble, and you're all over it. A loud, sharp, "STOP!" should do the trick. If not, the offender goes right into a crate for time out. Separate at feeding, too. It isn't unusual, with three dogs, to have the occasional scuffle. But it sounds like this has been escalating for some time, and unfortunately, you're losing control. Not good.

Grounding is a good place to start, and don't wait to do it. And do not cut the boys any slack. Hopefully, with grounding, they'll get a grip!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
......YOU are top dog. The fact that the boys wouldn't stop fighting when you told them to speaks volumes -- you must assert your authority............. A lifted lip, a quiet grumble, and you're all over it. A loud, sharp, "STOP!" should do the trick............... Separate at feeding, too. It isn't unusual, with three dogs, to have the occasional scuffle. But it sounds like this has been escalating for some time, and unfortunately, you're losing control. Not good.[/b]
When I don't like what they're doing, they know it. True, I let them do things that other people don't allow their dogs to do, but that's not a problem with me, so I don't enforce such rules. (beds, furniture, & such)

As far as them not stopping when I told them to, at first I thought it was just the normal grumblings going on, or playing that went too far, but this was a freak fight that went on farther than normal, and it took a little more authority to stop. The next morning when they were acting like it was going to happen again, I put my foot down, and they knew it. No problems after that.

They have no trouble eating together, but they have always teased each other with their treats. This time someone was just too grumpy, and it escalated into a fight. I'm thinking now that Digger may have had the sore paw before the fight, and he gets really grumpy when he doesn't feel good.

They each have tried to stake their claim as top dog, but neither has claimed full power. They each have some control over one, but not both. If they do have power in one situation, they don't have it in another.

The boys were just being boys, and they just took it too far. As far as injuries go, they could easily of done what they did by just playing around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two bassets and they got into a few scruffles a couple weeks ago due to my female being in heat. So I got one fixed last week thinking it would reduce the fighting. Unlike what your story is mine got pretty bad and pretty bloody at the end

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We've been there with Frodo and Jake before- very scary! One of Jake's bites got infected so that's something else to watch for... thankfully it's rare but I now know the warning signs... any giving of the "look" and everyone goes to time out...

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Wow, this is a seriously old thread!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My boys fight all the time. It's annoying and I don't feel like I have any control. They will just be doing their usual wrestling and then out of nowhere the bigger boy just goes nuts. I have to pull him off of his brother. Yesterday, my arm got in the way of his mouth and I have two pretty good punctures and multiple scratches. I yell STOP and it does nothing. Unless I physically pull them apart, it would be horrible. I am counting down the minutes until they get out of this psycho puppy phase because it's just not fun.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Which one is the alfa? That one needs to be fed first. OY~!~ I can't imagine Basset's fighting...Lou just rolled on his back, always passive (Passive agressive, because his whining would drive anyone mad)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts