Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I just got a Basset two weeks ago, I have been having all sorts of problems with diarrhea, worms and coccidia. Well now the vet has her on Flagyl (antibiotic) and I changed her diet to a low residue puppy food. She was having a tough time eating it. So I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes then mixed in a little turkey gravy, and she loves it. The only problem I see now is that her belly is so big, I tried burping her last night but she just looked at me like I was crazy and kept trying to chew on my hand. Should I be concerned or do basset pups get like this, she did end up having hiccups. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do when her belly gets big like that, it is better now she went to the bathroom, I am only feeding her a cup of food evry feeding and she only eats 3 times a day is this too much. Thanks for you help

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
How old is your pup? They do tend to have "big bellies" when they are little- Poor baby to have been so sick!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is 8 weeks old tomorrow, she has had a tough couple weeks but she is getting much better, just has a big rollie pollie belly and finds it hard to chase her tail when her belly is big like that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
is it possible that it may be gas? They do say not to moisten dry food for bassets for that reason. Duncan gets a scoop of plain yogurt on his biscuits to cut down on gas. When he was younger and would be eating he would stop in the middle and let out this HUGE belch and then go back to eating.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It's probably worms with your puppy, but I have to admit I "burp" my 7-year-old boy Lightning because he bolts his food. He never looks like he might be on the verge of bloat, but just in case I vigorously rub both sides of his belly until he lets out a belch. My other boy, Stomps, once drank a huge amount of water and then ate his dinner, and his stomach swelled up hugely. He was in a lot of pain until he threw up, then was fine (I was a wreck, though). So now I don't let either of them drink much before or after their meals.

M

·
0 Posts
We use to burp Maggie Mae after every meal too. She also inhaled her food. We would smack her side until we heard the loud sound that would come out of her. She liked it. In fact, immediately after eating she would come over to my Husband for a smack on the side. If I ever worry about bloat with my new guys and her too I would give one GasX tablet. I know they are okay for my guys who weigh around 40 pounds. Ask your vet the weight/dosage. It can take the pressure of gas away and in "some" cases be a life saver. When in doubt, I've given GasX.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She seems to be doing great now, her belly hasn't gotten like that since, but she farts and burps and awful lot, she is definatley gassy so I am sure that was all it was, thank you guys so much for your help. I was very concerned. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts