Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are so upset!! Poor Bogie is having surgery tomorrow to repair a torn ACL on his left rear knee (stifle joint). Bogie has been through so much with the two rock surgeries, now this.

Last Thursday evening he ran the "Basset 500" in the house, where he runs around the dining room table back to the den and around the coffee table, and does this several times. Then he came trotting into the kitchen, and limping slightly. We thought he had pulled a muscle, and kept watching him over the weekend, not letting him run, etc. Then he started holding that leg up balancing on his toe when standing, but would still walk on it. No better yesterday, so we had a vet appointment at 10 this morning. She checked him out and verdict is torn ACL. We take him back in the morning at 9 for the surgery.

Please send "Healing Drool" Bogie's way and any suggestions of how to entertain a crated dog. The first week total crate rest and confinement, out only to potty. The next three weeks basically the same with the crate, but can sit beside us on the floor, but absolutly no bouncing, running, jumping, etc. for four weeks to let the knee heal. Then progressivly longer multiple easy walks with very limited activity for the next four weeks. He is a very high energy Basset, so any ideas to keep him entertained will be appreciated.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
My weim, Luther, had his ACL repaired several years ago. I didn't have much trouble keeping him quiet because it HURTS. It took us about 30 minutes to get him out of the car and into the house. For the first 12 hours, I don't think he moved. Then for a couple of days, he'd get up to eat, pee and poop and that's it. Luther has long legs so it was hard for him to get up. I'm not sure how hard it'll be for a basset, but he'll figure it out. We had pain meds, but the vet suggested we not kill all the pain. If they don't hurt, they get too active.

Don't worry, he'll get through it okay. It'll be harder on you than on him.

Lynne

·
Registered
775 Posts
Oh No!!!!!!! That Bogie is a handful! Hopefully his body will tell him to take a rest. I know Rusy can spend what seems like several hours gnawing on a Nylabone. Maybe that will keep him busy for awhile. Other than that, I really don't know what to suggest??? Bogie sure is keeping you busy! I'll keep a good thought for your boy. Please keep us updated on his surgery!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Oh, good grief Bogey. Take it easy, recover fast, and please stop causing your Mom so much worry!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Oh, no, poor Bogie! Bugsie had knee surgery, and she wore a huge, hot pink cast that swallowed up her whole leg and hip. Her biggest challenge was going potty without tipping over. :eek: Her wonderful Dad assisted until she learned to balance herself and the giant cast. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor Bogie...he has had rotten luck! First his mouth got him into trouble for eating rocks...now being a basset has torn his ACL. Jackie sends a lot of healing drool for Bogie!!! Please keep us updated on his progress...I see a lot of bully sticks in Bogie's future! :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
We are so upset!! Poor Bogie is having surgery tomorrow to repair a torn ACL on his left rear knee (stifle joint). Bogie has been through so much with the two rock surgeries, now this.

Last Thursday evening he ran the "Basset 500" in the house, where he runs around the dining room table back to the den and around the coffee table, and does this several times. Then he came trotting into the kitchen, and limping slightly. We thought he had pulled a muscle, and kept watching him over the weekend, not letting him run, etc. Then he started holding that leg up balancing on his toe when standing, but would still walk on it. No better yesterday, so we had a vet appointment at 10 this morning. She checked him out and verdict is torn ACL. We take him back in the morning at 9 for the surgery.

Please send "Healing Drool" Bogie's way and any suggestions of how to entertain a crated dog. The first week total crate rest and confinement, out only to potty. The next three weeks basically the same with the crate, but can sit beside us on the floor, but absolutly no bouncing, running, jumping, etc. for four weeks to let the knee heal. Then progressivly longer multiple easy walks with very limited activity for the next four weeks. He is a very high energy Basset, so any ideas to keep him entertained will be appreciated.
Thanks!![/b]

Shame - I'll be thinking of you guys!!!

I'm sure he'll be just fine!!!

(especially with caring parents like you guys!!)

love,
s.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Bogie, you're like my son when he was young-he had so many trips to the ER that I'm sure they were ready to name a wing after him at the hospital!

I hope this is the last of these little dramas for awhile. poor Bogie, poor you, poor bank account... :(

Sandy

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
We are so upset!! Poor Bogie is having surgery tomorrow to repair a torn ACL on his left rear knee (stifle joint). Bogie has been through so much with the two rock surgeries, now this.[/b]

And for more bad new slightly more than half the dogs that have acl surgery require the other leg to be done.

High protein diets reduce risk of soft tissue injury. While it is possible that the tear is the result of a single acute incident most acl tears are progressive in nature and occur over years. Strand of the Ligiment break and shred weakening it but never really heal back to full strength.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Geez, so sorry to hear your buddy is injured. :(

Minnie & Dudley are slinging healing drool your way, get well soon Bogie! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Poor handsome boy! I suggest buying raw bones in the meat section of the market and giving them to him. Either beef knuckle or shank bones. Stryker will go at them for hours. They love the marrow. Keep the extras in the freezer until needed. Good luck! Belinda.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts