Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
We use that and then we have a special ear cleaning solution that we buy at the vets (but you can get some at a pet store too I'm sure) that you put inside the ear, rubb the ear and then dry (really well!) with some cotton. It keeps the insides of the ears clean but you have to make sure you dry it well cause moisture in those non ventilated ears is not good! Harvey hasn't had any ear problems with this method used once a week :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think it would be best if you got a good ear cleaner as the water can keep the ear moist and you do not want that. When Turtles ears are so yukie that I have to use warm water to clean them (just on the outside) I make sure that I dry them good.

I use different cleaners and use cotton rounds. I like them much better than the balls.

Oh and by the way my basset has the worst ears imaginable.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I use ear cleaning wipes or pads made for cleaning pets ears. If Maddies ears are very dirty, I use the pads; if not so bad I use the wipes.

Does anyone elses Basset LOVE getting their ears cleaned? Maddie completely relaxes and even makes a deep satisfied groaning sound when I go inside to gently but thoroughly clean. Wish the dang cat felt that way about it, sigh.

I'm glad Maddie enjoys it - that's a lot of ear to clean, lol!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Gave up on veterinary ear cleaning products when the boys fled the room when I reached for the bottle, ears were left, red, sore & dry. So now use a cotton handkerchief or tea towel with cooled boiled water or with a very small drop of hibiscrub, for deeper cleaning use olive oil into the ear with a pipette, massage ears & then clean. Also use Thornit powder.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
traditional home made reciped for ear cleaner include distiled vinegar (anti microbial) and alchol ( anti microbial and drying agent) in a bout a 50.50 mix nnote if warmed to bdy temperature 100-102 for dog it will be more comfortable for them the solution should be put in there ear and then the base of the ear and ear cana massage for 5 minutes or so let dog shake solution out and dry with cotton/ pad/round,

If the dog is sensitve to the alcohol as it can be irrtating to some you can use witch hazel while not antimicrobial it is a drying agent

·
Registered
704 Posts
On my vet's suggestion, we have been using baby wipes to clean ears, followed by a wipe down with 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water. Clementine is prone to super yucky ears!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'll be making the homemade mixture from Mikey T. The solution I've used for years is no longer available. Bentley loves his ears being cleaned but not as much as he loves brushinghis teeth. All I have to do is hold up his toothbrush and he comes running!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Molly's vet said to just use dry cotton balls to wipe out her ears, once a week. She said to avoid introducing any liquids into the ears.

That's what we've been doing, and it seems to work pretty well for us.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Once a week they get a good flush with 50/50 white vinegar and sterilised water and a really good dry with a tea towel. Always before their walk and even better if it's a windy day to really get the air in them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just been using a damp wash cloth and getting the wax I can see... is there a better way to clean the ears of my sweet little fur balls?
How do I clean the dried dirt on the outside tips of my basset hound’s ears ? The part of the ears that dragged in the mud and get dried dirt on them… is there a perfect solution to this ? With wipes it’s difficult & scratching or peeling the little dried pieces of dirt off the ear pulls the hair with it & he gets red or bleeds… please help :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts