Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Whats the best tick and flea prevention?

I've been using the seresto collar with my 6 month old puppy. We haven't had any problems with ticks or fleas, but the other day I notices that the collar is irritating his skin. I checked to make sure the collar wasn't on too tight but his skin is really red.
I wanted to know what prevention other basset owners are using, to check out my options. I don't want to use the seresto anymore

Thank you everyone

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Interesting because when I used a Seresto collar, it did the same thing and I had to take it off. His skin was very red and sore. I switched the the tried and tested before, Beaphar collar (UK).

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I can not keep flea and tick collars on our field dogs the lose the in the heavy cover so it s monthly drops for us that we do every three week during FT season because while the drops advertised good for a month really work for 2 months on fleas but effectiveness on tick start a steep drop off after three weeks We also get the giant breed size an split the does in half most time you can get the giant breed and large breed for the same price so it halves the cost to do this, we use a syringe to do so accurately When you have one cost vs convenience probably not worth it 12 and it is a different story.
d

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Wife is a groomer has not seen that issue with serrestos but keep in mind this is not uncommon with any collar the is on 24/7 and may not be related to the chemicals but mechanical abrasion but that does not really matter because in either case not acceptable. Also serrestos are one of the most cloned/fraudulent/blackmarket dog care items out there only buy from a trusted source and be highly suspect of any deep discounted price likely a knock off that can be trusted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you @Mikey T we will be trying the drops.
Yes you are right I think is definitely the use and not the chemicals because its not all around his neck just in the bottom. Plus we think he has a little of a delicate skin

Thank you eitherway for the recommendation

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Never forget the effect of the dewlap on the Basset which will often trap moisture or anything else (chemicals!), making for a sore area. So any irritation from these collars could well cause redness only under the chin. Mine was bought from my vet so unless he had a supply of fakes .........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wanted to reply with what doesn’t work- Sentinel. My dog has fleas and her prevention isn’t working. I tried another one before that didn’t work. It works well for heartworms but that’s about it. I’m in the same boat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts