Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I haven't been on here in ages, and really need to go through and read posts. But first, a question....

I was out of town for a couple days and when I came home Saturday night, OMG! The whole house stunk! Especially around Molly's sleeping area. It isn't just stinky hound I don't think (even though it has been 105 degrees here :eek:). It smells more like maybe she rolled or laid in something. Almost a "road kill" stink. My husband doesn't watch her when she goes out side like I typically do, so he has no idea what it could be either.
So she got a bath Saturday night when I got home with her usual mild puppy shampoo. Subdued the smell a bit, but still nasty. I washed all her bedding and toys twice, and Sunday morning even got out the carpet cleaner. Also Sunday morning used a "no water" spray on, rub and brush deoderizing shampoo on Molly, because I could still smell it.

She still stinks. Which of course is making my house stink. I run a home daycare and have had one parent comment on it yesterday. (The other two families have dogs, so they understand )

Does anyone have a suggestion for a shampoo or other deodorizer or something that I can use to get this smell off of her??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Fischer has a pension for killing skunk and he don't smell too good after words. there is only one thing that has had any effect and you won't find it on the shelve of any pet store. It is a combination of dawn dish soap for degreasing and oil stirping and hydrogen peroxide first aid strength 3% not Hair color or bleaching strength though that may work better you don't nescieasily want to bleach the dog coat. It will take 2 or three washing besure to give it plenty of contacted time 15- 30 minutes rinse really well to no soap comes out then rinse again.

ZIt is by no means perfect but it was the only thing tu reduce the stink to tollerable levels in the only thing that worked is time and that is 8 month to a year that you never notice it especial if the dog is wet.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I had a basset trap a skunk under the house for a couple of hours one night. I tried everything, tomato sauce, an enzyme from a hunting store, and just about every shampoo known to man. When I called my secretary to tell her why I'd be late, she sounded suspicious until I showed up smelling like I did. All my clothes smelled, the whole house smelled. Every time the dog got a drink for about 6 months after that, he smelled like skunk again. I never want to go through that again.

The funniest part is that after an hour, he crawled out from under the house and went to get a drink from his outside trough. I planned to clip him to the fence so he didn't go in the dog door, but figured I'd better let him get a long drink first after all that barking. When he got done drinking, he went right back under the house before I could catch him. I don't know if the skunk was still under there at that point, or had escaped down a gopher hole. I had to wait for another hour before he came out again. I wasn't about to crawl under there to get him.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning has been skunked twice. I tried the hydrogen peroxide/dishwashing detergent, and it was okay, but I found that white vinegar works the best. Just don't let it get in the dog's eyes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't about to crawl under there to get him.
No way I would have gone under there either!

Lightning has been skunked twice. I tried the hydrogen peroxide/dishwashing detergent, and it was okay, but I found that white vinegar works the best. Just don't let it get in the dog's eyes.
I used the dish detergent/ hydrogen peroxide last night. Definitely reduced the smell, but it's certainly still there. I may try the vinegar in a couple days. What's the best way to use it? Just pour over her and rinse thoroughly? Or put it in a squirt bottle and spray her with it? Do I dilute it with water?
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Keep in mind while there is much admonishment about over bathing a dog will dry out the skin of a dog that is not really the case. The problem is not the bathing but the inadequite rinsing there is no beter moistureizor than warm waer so don't fear multible bath etc as long a you rinse reaaly welll then rinse again it is the ridualls of shampoo etx that are not thouroughy rinsed away tha cause the problem.

Vinegar in wom of the tougher things for a dogs skin because they have a nutrial ph not an acidic one I would dilute 50/50 with water the thing with vinegar is smelling like a pickle the way you want to go. You can go all sorts of cologne to cover the stench but in the ned you end up with a dog that just reeks of two things.

Don't be afraid to bath frequently till all the odor is removed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
uhm let's see....a skunk smell....(which in case anyone has never been in contact...in potent form smellls like burning skunk) or a pickle....hand me a sandwhich, I will take the pickle everytime...LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks MikeyT; I usually bathe her every one-two weeks with a gentle puppy shampoo. But I have to admit I was nervous about washing her with some of these other things (vinegar or peroxide) too frequently. But I will remember to rinse rinse rinse! :)

LOL klm42005, right!? If it gets the stink out, I will certainly go with the vinegar and have a pickled hound!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Acutally, we used to use a vinegar rinse for cockers because they have such an odor, and I've tried it on the hounds a couple of times. I leave it on to dry, once it dries there is not much vinegar smell.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok, from watching pbs kids with my 4 year old, I knew skunk smell removal was on an episode of Fetch! with ruff ruffman. (yes, I realize I have no life!) Anyway, the best smell removal they found was hydrogen peroxide and baking soda together because of the oxygenation it causes.

Here is the part of the episode it shows it in-the woman overseeing them is a wildlife person whom watches/tracks skunks :)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I wonder if that would just oxidize the hair right off a dog? I wonder if shaving a basset would get rid of the skunk smell quicker? I hope I never have to deal with it again in order to find out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know..they did the tests on a sock lol. Just knew I had heard something and the show was about how to get the skunk smell off of ruff ruffman (cartoon dog) so I assumed it would be ok on a real dog lmao.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts