Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
We have a 6 wk old. What’s the best type of food?
Again - For now, the 'best food' is the one he has been used to eating, with his breeder. Honestly. If you, later on, feel the need to switch, choose one that lists meat, or fish, as the main ingredient, NOT cereal! And introduce it gradually over at least a week +, mixing the new with the old. Otherwise you'll have a puppy with an upset digestive system. And I can't recommend a specific food as I don't know where in the world you are. And not all food suits all dogs either.

Why did his breeder let him go at such a young age - we kept our puppies back to 10 weeks, unless we knew the new owners and they were experienced. In which case they went at some point after 8 weeks - we would NEVER have let any go at only 6 weeks. That's way too young. But what's done is done. I hope you are keeping him confined to your own back area until he's had ALL his puppy vaccination - and don't get that done untioll 8 weeks, unless the litter didn't take mum's first milk (colostrum). Done early, quite simply it won't take, if they did have the colostrum - and you may have a false sense of security.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts