Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has their opinion I know they do. So express what it is about fencing and what you think the is the best fencing option. I need to fence an acre for as reasonable as possible without breaking the bank. So....Your idea's are greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that there may be more dogs added in the future.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Let's see if we can help you out:

20 foot tall with 5 feet buried underground and all electrified.
Razor wire at the top.
Armed guards at each corner, ready to throw treats back into the pen for potential escapees.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Oh yes, and a moat with gators (sorry gator girlz!).

Fort Knox + Alcatraz

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I have been fine with 5 foot chain link bot no fencing system is ever 1oo%

I highly recommend self closing and latching gates . If you have diggers you need eaither to have concreat footing ` 4 FEET DEEP ALONG THE PEREMITER or take 3-4 foot epoxy coated wire securly attached to the base of the chain link and then burried an in or to below the surface this will act as a digging barrier because dog that dig to creat an escape are going to do so close barrier not thrree feet away so they alway hhit the fence barrier which makes digging impossible over time they usual give up. The concreate barrier is more permenate. non epoxy coated wire can rust out in a couple years epoxy coating will help exten the life but it is not forever.

Basset are easier to contain than beagles because beagles can fit through a smaller opening. often they only need an inch or two gap so the fencing needs to be instaled with this in mind no large gap because of terain changed or poor fit between post and gates an posts and house etc.

Chain link is not perfect a few enterprising dog will climb it. and if the dog have high drive the sight of other animal can creat problems of barking and fence running. Then I recommend a solid fence like stockade but in such situation I use a stockade on the outside of the chain link where I want to block sight lines. and not as the secourity. Wood fences require to much maintenance to remain secure even presure treated maybe the new plastics are ok but they are very pricey especial compared chain link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts