Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.....not really. They pee and poop everywhere EXCEPT on the darn piddle mat!

The good news is that I finally was able to talk my wife into getting a crate for them at night. (Nothing better than waking up and stepping in a nice cold puddle of piddle!). We have them in our bathroom at night. The master bedroom has a very large bathroom and we put one of there beds in there as well as there food, Piddle mat (Not sure why I even bother) and toys. I found a nice crate (Although quite expensive at $300) that is made for puppies where the floor is elevated, so when they do their pee-pees it falls to a collection tray below that can be lined with piddle pads, newspaper, etc.

I am giving up on the piddle pads by themselves as they enjoy tearing it up and rolling around in the shredded fluff. I found a piddle mat that is a similar concept to the crate where the piddle falls below to a tray. They may not use it...but at least they will not destroy the paper anymore!

We have survived 3 entire days so far!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
LOLOL, and you are just getting started! Hang in there, dad, it WILL get better.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL...I only have one dog and I still remember getting her out of her crate in the middle of the night to use the piddle pads. She would find the one square inch of carpet that wasn't covered by a pad and pee there. In hind sight, I should have taken her directly out to the grass no matter what the time was.

I don't know how effective it may be to let them hang out in a crate where they are also allowed to pee/poop. A crate should be for sleeping and/or times you are unable to supervise...but not necessarily for play time. But you may be thinking of some kind of playpen crate or something I don't know about.

Hang in there...all the lost sleep and cleansing products are worth it for your cuties!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A crate should be for sleeping and/or times you are unable to supervise...but not necessarily for play time.
Yes I agree. I am getting the crate only for night time. During the day they are in my office (I work from home) and are in a 6'x8' gated play area. I take them outside several times a day...But I am quickly learning that I need to get them both out at the same time or the one that gets left behind gets mad and goes right there.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
But I am quickly learning that I need to get them both out at the same time or the one that gets left behind gets mad and goes right there.
Sorry but...hahaha! Are all dogs this dramatic?? I don't have all that much experience with any breed other than Basset really so I'm not sure if all dogs are seriously this funny.

Don't worry, it sounds like these two will have you trained in no time :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bessie's Dad, Can't offer any advice on puppy training as I've never had one, but just want to say that I am loving your threads:D

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Couple things You mention piddle mats is the intention to have the dogs house trained or paper trained. If paper trained piddle mats are fine if house trained they actual slow the process down and make it more difficult. Remember the basis of housetraining is teaching a substrate prefference. So using a piddle mat you first train a prefference for the mat. then have to spend all that time retraining a new preffernece for an outdoor surface, that makes things much harder.
see
In hind sight, I should have taken her directly out to the grass no matter what the time was.
The most important aspect of any dog training is consitentcy. If you want the dog to go on grass then only allow them to go on grass. multip[le surface will create confusion and slow training down.

Next
The good news is that I finally was able to talk my wife into getting a crate for them at night. (Nothing better than waking up and stepping in a nice cold puddle of piddle!).
Here the thing I have never had a basset puppy contrary to what you reead about other breeds until 16 weeks or older to be able to go the entire night with out needing to go in the middle. So simply crating the dog at night if they can not hold it that long is going to destroy the crate as a safehaven for teaching the dog to hold it later on. I an not recommend anganst using the crate but you need to make some sort of provession to take them out in the middle of the night. For me the onl;y thing that worked was setting an alarm certainly a PIA for a month or two but in the end it is worth it because it prevents a whole host of problems.,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts