Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm Melissa. I am owned by 1 Basset Hound, Beowulf, plus 2 Swissies and 1 Beagle.

Beowulf is 12. My hubby bought him for me from a pet store before either of us knew any better. So I'm sure he's a mill doggy, but he's a sweet boy.

He's been mostly healthy throughout his life. One thing I have seen recently that I was curious about...his ears have periodically been FREAKISHLY sensitive. If I brush them as light as if my hand was a feather, he periodically cries out in such pain. Then I'll examine to see if something is up, and he's fine. I know he and the beagle had a little disagreement a few weeks ago (she's missing a bit of her nose) but there are no visible signs. I wonder if the cartilage is a little injured or if it's something else. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Have you had his ears examined by a vet? As dogs age, they develop health issues, and Beowulf is an older guy. He could have ear infections, and they can't always be identified by looking at the outside of the ear.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you had his ears examined by a vet? As dogs age, they develop health issues, and Beowulf is an older guy. He could have ear infections, and they can't always be identified by looking at the outside of the ear.....[/b]
Not yet. We keep them well cleaned and he's not had a history of them. He was checked about 2 months ago when he was having belly issues. We had all sorts of tests and Xray, mainly because of his age. No ear issues, but he did have 2 spots with arthritis.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
He looks like such a sweet boy! I just love the photo of him on his back in the grass.
As far as his ears go, I would have the vet take a look at them just to make sure there is nothing going on in there.
Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Melissa,
I like your Hound and there is a super-member here -Mikey T- who would know about the sensitive ears. He is a human encyclopedia about Hounds.
don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts