Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I give George Benadryl? And if so, how much? I never buy it because neither of us humans has allergies, but he apparently does and his scratching is driving him AND us batty. Will Benadryl help?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wouldn't give any meds without the vet oking it first. Even though I am a nurse and am knowledgable about meds you never know with animals.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Actually, Benadryl is fine to give to a dog. I have given it to Shyla when she got bit and got hives all over her head. I only gave her 1/2 a pill but my vet said that I could give her 1 full pill. My mom's Jack Russell also takes Benadryl everyday for allergies (as told by the vet) and she just buys the over the counter kind.

Prednisone is great too but I was told by the vet tech that it will cause them to drink and pee more.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We've used both benadryl and Temeril P for Jake on various occasions- I think the Temaril works the best- but in a pinch the benadryl is OTC- I would ask your vet- We give 25 mg though the vet actually recommends 50- but I'm a coward...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
No one should give their dog medications, whether prescription, OTC or even herbals without checking with their veterinarian. Also to my knowledge there aren't any veterinarians here so no one is qualified to to recommend medications for someone's dog. And a vet generally wouldn't do it either unless s/he knew the patient.

Yes Benadryl is generally a pretty safe medication. However its use is not appropriate for all dogs.
Precautions and Side Effects:
  While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, diphenhydramine can cause side effects in some animals.
  Diphenhydramine should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
  Animals with glaucoma, lung disease, heart disease, an overactive thyroid, high blood pressure and prostate enlargement should not use diphenhydramine.
  Diphenhydramine may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with diphenhydramine. Such drugs include epinephrine, tranquilizers, heparin and barbiturates.
  The most common adverse effects of diphenhydramine are sedation, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea and lack of appetite.
from Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) By: Dr. Dawn Ruben
It doesnt take but a minute to pick up the phone and call your vets office to ask if it's ok to give my dog _______.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Prednisone can be a "wonder drug" but its use shouldn't be taken lightly. Veterinarians can report Adverse Drug Events to the FDA. I don't know how many actually do but I suspect not many. What follows is a list of some of the Adverse Reactions to Prednisone and similar products that veterinarians have reported to the FDA:
KERATOCONJUNCTIVITIS  
KIDNEY FAILURE  
ANAPHYLAXIS/TOID  
COLLAPSE  
VOMITING  
SHOCK  
CYANOSIS  
DIARRHEA  
URTICARIA
DISTRESS, RESP
HYPERPNEA
HYPOPNEA
MUCOUS MEMBR, MUDDY
TACHYCARDIA
DEATH
DEATH(EUTHANIZED)
DEPRESSION/LETHARGY
DIARRHEA, BLOODY
HEART FAILURE
HYPERSALIVATION
HYPOTHERMIA
LDH HI, BLD
NERVOUSNESS
PALLOR
PALLOR, MUCOUS MEMBRAN
PRURITIS
SGOT/AST HI, BLD
SGPT/ALT HI, BLD
SHAKING
ARREST, HEART
COLLAPSE
DEATH
PARESIS, HIND LIMB(
PR-PHARYNX, LESION(
PR-SPLEEN, LESION(
STAGGERING
DEPRESSION/LETHARGY
SGPT/ALT HI, BLD
ALK PHOS HI, BLD
CONVULSION(S)
ANEMIA
ANOREXIA
HYPERACTIVITY
INTERACTION, DRUG(S)
POLYPNEA
AGGRESSION
ATAXIA
LESION(S), SKIN
LIPASE HI, BLD
PALLOR, MUCOUS MEMBRAN
PARESIS, HIND LIMB(S)
PERFORATION, STOMACH
PERITONITIS
PLATELETS LO, BLD
PR-ESOPHAGUS, LESION(S
PR-LUNG(S), LESION(S)
PR-SM INTEST, LESION(S
PR-SPLEEN, LESION(S)
PR-STOMACH, LESION(S)
PROPRIOCEPTIVE DISORDE
PUSTULE(S)
RADIOGRAPH(S) ABN
SEDATION
TREMBLING
ULCER(S), GI
ULCER(S), PYLORUS
US ABN
WEAKNESSDEATH
NERVOUSNESS
POLYDIPSIA
POLYURIA
SPASM
VOCALIZATION
VOMITING
AMYLASE HI, BLD
ANAPHYLAXIS/TOID
APPREHENSION
BEHAVIOR DISORDER
BILE ACIDS HI, BLD
BLD(PETECHIAE)
BLD, MOUTH/LIP(S)
BUN HI, BLD
CREATININE HI, BLD
DEFECATION
DERMATITIS, MOIST
DIARRHEA, BLOODY
DISSOCIATION
EPISTAXIS
ERUPTION(S)
GASTRITIS
GLUCOSE HI, BLD
HYPOADRENOCORTICISM
INEFFECT, ANTIINFLAM
INFLAM, SKIN
IRRITATION, SKIN
In case there's any terms you don't know here's an online medical dictionary.

My point is Ask Your Veterinarian

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:idea: Beverly Anne, you may no be too far off base. Dr. Mike says
In people, corticosteroid induced pyschoses are reported. I honestly think  
that this occasionally occurs in pets but have no real scientific data to  
support that belief. Still, if your cat starts hiding out all day, is more  
aggressive, or exhibits any recognizable behavioral changes it would be  
worthwhile to report them to your vet.
So we have to keep our dogs out of the driver's seat when they're on prednisone. :roll:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The vet had suggested Benadryl for George last summer when he was scratching his ears so much. We tried some medication the vet gave us and it helped but didn't stop the ear-scratching and I've been cleaning his ears regularly to help that. I've been giving him a pill or two a day and it does seem to help, though getting him to swallow a pill is an exercise in frustration. I tried peanut butter, cheese and hot dogs and he always finds it. I finally refused to give him any snacks all day until bedtime and he wanted a snack so badly by then that he finally swallowed it without a fuss. It gives him some relief and he seems to be better today, even without a pill, so maybe the worst is over. I hope.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:evil: Grrrrr......please don't recommend dosages on this forum! The previous post says benadryl should be given at a dose of 1 mg per pound. Actually in the above situation the dog is being dosed at 0.5 mg per pound or 25 mg, twice daily. The dose varies depending on the reason for use and size of the animal so though the dose is often 0.5 mg per pound please check with your veterinarian before gving your dog any medications, prescription or over the counter.

Often a dog gets 25 milligrams, three times daily. That's a total of 75 milligrams but each dose is still 0.5 mg per pound.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I recommended dosage amounts; didn't know it wasn't allowed on this list.

The benedryl I have (generic store brand is fine) is 25 mg. per tablet. The amount I stated in the previous posting was from Ruby's vet. Actually all of the vets she's had in the 3 states she's lived in.

Of course it's advisable to ask your own vet before starting any medication; didn't think I needed to state that given someone else already did.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The amount I stated in the previous posting was from Ruby's vet.  Actually all of the vets she's had in the 3 states she's lived in.
Sounds like your vets can't do math. Probably best to leave the dosing recommendations to those who can. :roll:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Our vet told us to give Moe Benedryl when he got stung by a bumblebee. We were told how much but it was so long ago I can't remember. I'm sure it depends on the size of the dog. I agree - check with your vet before medicating your dog!

Terry

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi
Charlie has summer allergies and I use to give benadryl but there are better things to give, so it would be a good idea to go to the vet. With Prednisone Charlie lost control of his legs so that is a no no for us. I have to use topical creams and now a child size t-shirt. And they gave him a stronger antihistimine but I am not really sure it helps to much. Good luck
Steph

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Your post was deleted Ruby because it contained inaccurate and confusing dosage information. Medication dosages have to be written a certain way. I just finished a year long research study looking at Adverse Drug Events including medication errors. One of the causes is the prescription was written inaccurately or unclearly. Sometimes serious reactions occur, even death.

So please leave mediction dosages to health care professionals who know what they're doing. And even they sometimes make mistakes.

Thank-you for your understanding,

Barbara Winters

1 - 19 of 19 Posts