Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the AHBA rabbit hunt on Sunday, Belle went out and beat 5 other bassets to win her cast in first series. After a short break Belle and Bill Layton's Jersey Devil started hunting for a rabbit -- at the end of the hour running time, Belle was the winner!!!
Susan Olson took a rescue bitch with serious fears of strange people, no experience in the field and now has a Rabbit Champion. Well Done!!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That's awesome. I remember hearing questions about "I'm thinking about having my rescue hound do bunny hunts, what do I do...?" to now Belle is doing so well. That's great to hear!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to my club Susan and Belle! 11 years ago (can you believe it's been that long Dean?) I responded to an invitation from Dean via this forum to attend an AHBA hunt with my new 1 year old rescue Basset Molly. I was afraid she would run away. And a few years later she did; with the title of Rabbit Champion! Congratulations!! And I can say with great sincerity that I know EXACTLY how you feel! Good job! P.S. Dean, I'm getting a puppy from John's Jennie and Maria's Sundance! So excited! I'm going to field trial also! Take care all, Belinda.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just think--- you could be next -- Delware isn't far from the hunts and Belle lives in MD --- I can tell you one thing -- your dogs will have lots of fun

Congrats to Belle and Susan! To think we knew them "way back when!"[/b]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just think--- you could be next -- Delware isn't far from the hunts and Belle lives in MD --- I can tell you one thing -- your dogs will have lots of fun[/b]
If only there were more days in the week! So many hobbies, so little time! We'll get out there eventually! Still haven't been able to get Hazley to open. She's got a great eye and nose, but no voice. Any suggestions?

Barb

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
. She's got a great eye and nose, but no voice. Any suggestions?

Barb[/b]
FWIW Belle tends to be tight lipped at well. In the field most dogs learn from working with others. Giving her the opurtunity to work with other dogs may help. Macey does not open up unless sight chasing which hurts in Field Trialing but it is not a fatal flaw and the on plus for a tigher mouth/hot scenting dog is you are surer they have a trail is not necessarily a bad thing in a working dog. A cold scenting dog that opens up on a trail incapable of producing a rabbit is a hinderance and time waster

A starte pen can be a good option as well as it makes success more probable and gives the dog more of a "taste" :rolleyes: for rabbit hunting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi All,

Dean, thanks for posting this - I didn't see it until my boyfriend point it out to me last night. Belle is very happy that her mom was lucky enough to post here when she was trying to find the right sport for her to use her nose in. Thank you guys for answering those posts and getting us on the right track! And for making it so easy to have fun. Thanks for all the congrats!

We can't wait to go to New York next weekend and get our butts kicked in a new class - and to have my new baby compete in the Open Class --- well, not my new baby, but my "borrowed" (read: stolen) baby. Anyway, her human daddy will be there too and hopefully she'll do well and not be kidnapped back :)

Really want to encourage anyone who has a basset to try the AHBA events ---- at the very worst you get to spend an entire day walking around in the field with your dog bonding and at the best you get to watch him/her chase find a bunny.

Truth is we need more people to participate because it would be more fun with more dogs and more people and more WOMEN.

Barb, really hope you do come out - I had a blast that day with you - it was tons of fun and your girl is sweet!

Susan O.

See you in New York!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts